Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (4) used CAMs with matching lifters at my disposal. Which one should I use in my 4.1 production motor? Motor is as follows:

.040 over 4.1 production (259c.i.)
Champion Irons, matched intake
TA-62 or so turbo
TH DP
Stock ECM, MAF ect..
MOSTLY PUMP GAS MOTOR. This is my daily driver/Wednesday warrior. But, it will get beat on occasionally with go juice.

Here are my requirements:

Must idle nicely at 800rpm idle, 700rpm in gear.
No annoying lope or fat cam sound
Want it to make plenty of power around 5200rpm (that is where my trans shifts by itself)
Don't want to be forced to manually shift car at higher rpm's to obtain full advantage from CAM
MUST BE QUIET AND NOT SCREW WITH THE KNOCK SENSOR!

OK, now for the (4) CAMS I have, which one will suit me the best?

Stock CAM
210/205 Club CAM (does NOT have 3* offset)
214/218 Sig Erson
224/224 unknown

There it is.. please pick based on knowledge or experience. Again, if I was building a pure race motor, I know what CAM to use. But I really just want something a little better than stock. If I were building a 3.8, I would probably use the stock cam again. But since this motor has more cubes than the 3.8 I feel it might be a little small in this case. Whadda ya think?? Thanks.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sig Erson, advance it a couple of degrees...not familar with this one but the Erson 214/214 is a great cam

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Sig Erson, advance it a couple of degrees...not familar with this one but the Erson 214/214 is a great cam

I'm with Steve...the 224/224 will be noticeable. I kinda like it, and it will idle at 800, but....it also could use a bit more than 5200 rpm.

That 214/218 should be barely noticeable, if it's got a decent LSA (110 or more).

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

·
9 Second Wannabe
269 Posts
I'd go with the 210-205. Better all around IMO. The 218 has too much duration for a decent idle and cold start-up performance. On the other hand if you have DFI that 218 can be tamed a bit with a richer mixture.

------------------
78 Malibu 3.8 Turbo
New Best Time! 8th mile: 1.45, [email protected]
TURBO WONDER
TE-70, Stock Ported Iron Heads and Intake
2.5 Stock Intercoolers
86 Fiero GT
3.8L Turbo Project in the works!
Vernon Swindell, Jr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.