Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew that would get your attention. You guys haven't answered my last question so I had to do something. I actually have a question about spark plugs. Is It a bad thing to use platinum plugs? If so I need a good recommendation.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
No model
Dont waste your money. Standard AC, Autolite or NGK are fine

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
I am running Bosch Platinum +4's and love them. Actually felt the difference between these and the new standard AC's

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
When the tip breaks off them and ends up on your piston I doubt you will like them so much....

Bosch Platinums kinda suck, really...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
They work okay for a short time but bring misery later. Stick to AC, Autolite, or NGK.

If you felt the difference, you musta really needed new plugs. Platinum plugs have a problem with detonation after a few miles, and when the electrode breaks off.....

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
They work just fine with my car and have had them in there for about 8 months. As far as feeling the difference and needing plugs: I had replaced my plugs about 1 month before. The only reason I changed to these is I work in an auto parts store and they gave all of us a free set to do a trial on them. After that I bought a set for my truck and my wifes car. I have been selling them for sometime now and haven't had anybody say they had a problem. Might not be getting any detonation for 2 reasons. 1) I went with a colder plug. 2) My car actually uses a distributor and I have a MSD box on it.

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The reason platinum plugs aren't optimum for the Buicks is that half the cylinders fire "backwards". That means that on three cylinders, the tiny center electrode of a Pt plug is the "target", rather than the point which originates the spark. Ford actually used two different plugs on some of the V6 Tauruses with similar "backwards" firing.
George W
Raleigh, NC

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
That is correct...Pat, however, is running a conventional distributor as per above, and he may get buy with them...time will tell.

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Someone used this analogy:
Platinum plugs are like long life tires. They may last a long time, but they aren't as good performance wise. That's why we use soft and sticky tires.

They come in those new cars with "100,000 miles before the first scheduled tune up".

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I believe the smaller the electrodes, the more likely they are to detonate. That's the reason that some believe the AC truck plugs are better. (CR series)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Go with CR43's (Delco) Dont bother with anything else!

------------------
[email protected] 1.7 60' 20psi
Central FL GN and T-Type club.
Embry-Riddle Muscle Car
assoc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The biggest problem I found with Platinum plugs in our cars, is th erosion that takes place on the firing tip...I had a set on my car when I first got it and th etip had eroded so far back into the insulator that I couldn't even see it...Hence two cylinders were firing.......NGK's are dynamite, tremendous results in my car versus others...Just my O2

Hank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts