Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of performance gains will you be able to notice with ported polished gn1 champion heads apposed to not having them. I was debating on getting them but is it really worth it? Right now I am running a TE44 turbo pte stock location intercooler and a 2800 stahl convertor with alky inj and mototron 60's. Would I need to upgrade the turbo or not? Any suggestions. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never been to the track with this bad boy yet. Just in general I was curious if you would see a noticable hoarsepower gain. I would probably be upgrading to a bigger cam as well.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
only will help if your combo is in good condition and capable of flowing the additional air.

Won't help until you are in the tens, I suspect.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Steve I am getting the hole engine redone as we speak. I want to keep the TE44, but would it be worth getting ported polished heads with a bigger cam to work with them, thanks.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Stock head flow rather well to the upper 11's. So if your not there they won't do much. Just throwing money and parts in the car won't make you faster. You need to get a baseline timeslip so you know if your going faster or slower as you tune the new setups. Not to long ago I was at the track with someone who thought he was going to run mid 10's with all his fast parts. He couldn't get out of the 12's. Just something to think about. :sw:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I understand you were talking about aluminum GN1 heads..total waste of money with a 44. Also these engines are not very cam sensitive. These engines run well to at least the mid 11s on the stock cam. Getting one much larger may make virtually no difference at wot, but, may make it run worse in normal driving.

Porting stock iron heads can help a little in the 11s even with a 44, imo. Depends a bit on the rest of the combination.

If you want ported heads, I would talk to Frank about a port job that is affordable.

Remember that you have the turbo as a potential bottleneck with airflow, then there is the intercooler, and finally the heads. So it is all about combination of parts...there ain't too many magic parts by themselves...but, plenty that can screw you up by themselves. :)

If you need a new cam, I would suggest something like the Erson 208. that may be the same grind as the Elgin 208 as well. I don't know. I would use new GM lifters, tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts