Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 1987 GN and I am looking for some feedback on a performance chip replacement. Nothing radical. Any feedback? PB

------------------

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
There are alot of chipmakers out there. For a total stock GN you won't see too much difference in performance between chipmakers.
I like Jim Testa or Bob Bailey chips. But there is also Thrasher,Lubrant,Reds,Jay Carter and others that will work too. When you do performance upgrades then the two I mentioned will work with you on custom upgrades to match a chip to your setup.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by ULYCYC (edited May 28, 2002).]

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
I would be sure to at least get a good fuel pump and hotwire with a fuel pressure regulator first. Then dive in for a PROM. With everything else stock except for the aforementioned fuel mods, the Thrasher would probably work quite well. But be warned, with these few minor mods will bring better acceleration and more driving fun. It's addictive...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think that most chips expect better fuel pressure and 160 degree thermostat at a minimum.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
For the money, you can't beat a Thrasher. Several options, and they're all cheap. Once you get to a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, etc., then a custom from Testa and friends will work better, but for mostly stock, the Thrasher is the best value. (I started to say "the best bang for the buck" and realized you don't really want a "Bang!")

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts