Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.hrpartsnstuff.com/products/rearend/swaybar.htm

This looks like a really neat piece. Seems to be a cross between a normal sway bar and the Wolfe sway bar that works well but can be a pain to install at times.

Maybe sway bar is not the correct term? Maybe we could call it a Grainger kinetic load equalizer? :D

Nice to see continued development of technology for our cars. :)

<small>[ June 09, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Steve Wood ]</small>

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Steve,Link not working.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay...somehow it got scrambled. :)

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
That is a NICE looking piece! It looks and reads like it is performing well in a Drag application. I would really like to see some numbers on the skid pad or even some pyrometer numbers from a road course :)

Perhaps I could do that testing for you Paul wink :D

I with you Steve, I am glad to see that there is still some advancement in parts for our little old black cars :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was curious as to how it would affect the handling, myself.

It would be nice to see it on a road course. At the moment, I don't see why it would not work, but, I could not see all of it in the pics.

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
I think he said that bar was 1-1/4". The bar I have on my car now is an inch and I need a bit more. The extra 1/4" might just get me past the slight understeer I have now.

It looks like the swing arm length is longer than the stock piece, but I can not argue with the pics of the Chevelle. :)

The problem with even slight understeer is that as you go longer on the track the MORE understeer you get from burning up the fronts to the point of no grip at all. Currently my tire remps are about 60* hotter in the front than the rear and if I can get that to within 20* I'd call it good.

If this unit gets us closer to even balance then it's well worth the $459.00.

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Steve Wood:
Maybe we could call it a Grainger kinetic load equalizer? :D
It's a relief bar, dammit! silly

I relieves the strain of....aw crap, just call it a BFB. :D

<small>[ June 09, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: b4black ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are all right, Rich!! :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greg, you just need to take a round of wedge out of the rear and add a pound of air pressure in the front.

(I learned that from listening to Darrel Waltrip on Fox!)

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
I saw this bar in person at the Nats and it looks great. headbang headbang My friend who went with me, also a TBs.com member liked it so much he bought one while at the Nats. I don't know if it has been shipped yet but they look like they should work well. yup yup

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Racer X:
That is a NICE looking piece! It looks and reads like it is performing well in a Drag application. I would really like to see some numbers on the skid pad or even some pyrometer numbers from a road course :)

Perhaps I could do that testing for you Paul wink :D
It truly looked like an indy car with total control and super reactive steering.
Um, While I am with RacerX on the possible advantages of this system off the strip. I am NOT buying the quoted line when referring to a big and littled bias ply tired car. Honestly, does anyone else know what it feels like to have a real well handling car?

NO DISCREDIT to Paul, kudos on the effort and design. It is clearly working. But, he should really find someone like RacerX or myself to put it through its paces off the 1320. Before making "Indy car" claims.

Otherwise. headbang to HRpuffandstuff.com
(J/K Paul)

<small>[ June 09, 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: mOtOrHeAd MiKe ]</small>

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Otherwise. headbang to HRpuffandstuff.com
(J/K Paul)
Learn how spell his business name right first.
Then,maybe he'll be nice to you. yup canada

·
Registered
21 Posts
"legally" we cannot make any comparison to the "HR PUFF & STUFF" name :) but it *may* have had something to do with the creation of the name :D We actually like it when people make the association.

As for the swaybar, we have NOT made any actual road race type tests yet. Where we are at, it seems 99.5% are interested in going straight 1/4 mile runs & work on the street. It REALLY works AWESOME on the strip, like the Chevelle pic every time. We now have a pic of Dave Bamford's TR on the site showing the same great results. Don't have a "before" pic of his yet, but Dave remarked it was a great improvement & drives straight as an arrow. It has exceeded our expectations by leaps & bounds. It is 1-1/4" dia but only 1/4" wall tubing. Believe it or not, it is close to the same strength as solid, but a lot lighter. The bar itself is only 1 pound heavier than the stocker!

If you go by the books, I would have to admit that our swaybar is probably not the best way to go on the road course. We really didn't intend it to be. We actually expected some downsides on the street, but actually ended up with some upsides it seems. Driving on the street with the new bar is a big improvement over the stk setup. It feels more controlled, firmer, more responsive, and a LOT less body roll going on. It seems like you want to over-react when changing lanes because it happens so fast & effortless. It allows you to take the same curvy road a little faster & feel more controlled doing it. I would have to assume if being pushed to the edge on a full-blown road course, the bars limit would probably be seen there.

It should out-perform the more common oversize stockers out there on the road course because it doesn't restrict movement of the control arms. Bolting up separately from the rear suspension ensures the suspension will be allowed to do it's job. I would doubt it would be perfect on the strip, the street, AND the road course, but you never know... :D

Anyone willing to do some detailed testing with documented results on a road course? Many have good intentions, but here is what I can do:
1.) Make arrangements ahead of time with me so I don't have 50 people doing it at the same time,
2.) Buy one & install it & test it out,
3.) Get me pictures, video if possible, detailed feedback, etc.
4.) Then I can do something like a half price rebate or money back if not totally happy with it. I can't make them fast enough, so I would be glad to take it back, if I can find someone willing to give it up :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think the reference to Indy Car handling was meant to mean anything other than tight responsive handling on the street. No where in the link did he indicate that it was intended for a road course, or oval.

Greg, why don't you take Paul up on his offer? You are the only one I know qualified to determine if it performs better than a stock bar in this particular utilization.

If it does not work out to be better, I will be happy to buy it from you.

Steve
:) :)

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Paul, I was looking at the pictures trying to figure out what the end links are attached to, but it's hard to tell. Is that a body seem they're attached to????

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
TurboDave:
Paul, I was looking at the pictures trying to figure out what the end links are attached to, but it's hard to tell. Is that a body seem they're attached to????
It is the rear cross member for the frame. I think that my Hooker exhaust uses some of those holes.

I think. dunno

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Steve Wood:
You are all right, Rich!! :D
I don't care what all the jerks over here say, you're all right too! (but let's pass on the hug. nono )

You even make sense sometimes. (OK, most of time :) )

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got it the second time! :D Older one gets the more hugs mean, but, oh well, if you insist! :) :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts