Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a parts cleaning solvent for my parts washer. Not sure if I should go with organic or petroleum based. Any input?

Thanks
Paul
72 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drivetrain

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Mineral Spirits from ACE Hardware. Can't beat the price and cleaning power. Also isn't bad on your hands....

------------------

'87 GN - Stock Block, Stock Cam, Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
11.92 @ 111.77mph

'87 Mazda RX-7 w/GN Powerplant
11.15 @ 120 MPH
Visit : http://www.MisRed.com

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Paul , just be a little concerened . I have seen some parts cleaner react with alum than others . The bio stuff seems to do it more then petro based solvents for some reason .

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
I like using Varsol... add a little scrub brush and a elbow grease and you'll be laughing.

Day to day cleaning I use O2 safe carb cleaner.

Simple Green is supposed to be great... I tried it on some "Rust-Proofed" fenders this winter and it worked okay at getting that film crap off (after I removed the 1/8" of gunk).

Crappy Tire has a Motomaster brand engine degreaser that I used to clean up my 3.8 & 355 externally and internally. Still have some! Good stuff too.

Just make sure the door is open or you end up looking and feeling like this: silly

yup

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :)
I have been doing some research and have found that "Stoddard solvent" seems to be the choice of most. It is petroleum based, but is low odour and has a relatively high flash point. I've spent too many years cleaning parts in a bucket ugh so I picked up a 20 gal parts washer. (I'll need more than just a a quart or two of cleaner wink ) I hooked up a fume hood this weekend and I'll be using gloves anyway so... time to do some degreasing :)

Paul

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Quick Toy:
I've spent too many years cleaning parts in a bucket so I picked up a 20 gal parts washer. (I'll need more than just a a quart or two of cleaner) I hooked up a fume hood this weekend and I'll be using gloves anyway so... time to do some degreasing
Setting: Quick Toy's House.

*A Knock at the door*
Paul: Who is it?
*A collective voice sounds*: The entire Toronto Turbo Buick Community!
Paul: eek! rant nono moon uzi ugh

·
Registered
162 Posts
LMAO :D :D wink

1 - 7 of 7 Posts