Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone hears, stock cams/heads/headers are good down to xx.xx ETs and the corresponding MPHs. But my question is how repeatable are these claims? In other words, can you do it over and over or are the parts on the limits with disasterous results occurring soon thereafter? I'd like to learn how far said parts can be pushed before breakage is eminent.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The claims are repeatable until something breaks! :D

Obviously, as cylinder pressures rise, stress on parts increase.

I would say that in general, when in the 12's, parts life is not noticiably shortened. When one moves into the 11's very far, then parts life becomes significantly less.

The key to obtaining maximum life is to stay out of detonation. A little is not okay when it comes to parts life. :)

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet you're right Jack. No need for a flame suit. I hear mid-11s is generally the limit for strong reliability and I'm sure your graph is based on those claims. I would like to specifically know about axles though. Just wondering about how many banzai launches one can expect to perform and not kiss the pavement. Also, at what performance level does the pinion tend to fail/snap? I saw JC bust his last year at BG; not pretty and not sure what rear he uses.

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Excellent graph! But I think I would have to disagree with the data on the slow end. I believe the the trend would not start at the origin (zero). Otherwise all those slow Hot Air cars would be industructible!!!! wink

Or like everything else, does this only apply to IC cars? :( Even so, I bet we could find a few people that could break thier 14+ sec, stock, IC cars. eek!

<small>[ June 16, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: b4black ]</small>

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Cool! I am stuck @ 5% :D

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I think 99% of it is driver controlled. If you try to light up your tires at every stop sign or light you will get breakage on any car fast or slow. The graph looks cool but you have to figure in a driver range from grandma to a$$hole wink

1 - 7 of 7 Posts