Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GBSEAN and all who wish to respond.

I am ready to paint and would like your imput on:

A) paint...am currently thinking of using a single stage DuPont Centari but I'm not sure if I will get the "mirror" finish over a base/clear application. Can you polish the single stage to get that look? Or, do you suggest the base/clear and wet sand and then polish? :confused: If you suggest the base/clear method then...

B) process...do you wet sand after the base coat and then clear coat and wet sand again after the clear? Grits used-600 after base 1000 after the clear? Finer grits?

I have researched but can only find general info w/o specific details.

BTW, the purple/silver was incredible...cogratulations on I'm sure the well deserved award! :cheers:

Thanks for you time :)
David87GN

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Urethane Base\Clear is the way to go!

The clear coat is the only wet sanding done. 1000 grit generally only if there is a bad run or other error. Generally a bit higher grit, in the 1200-2000 range, followed by buffing and polishing.

Paint experts will know more than me, the above reflects my (novice) first hand experience and research. Listen to the British guy with the dry sarcastic humor. :cool:

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
Dupont Centari is so old school...for the best results go with a base coat clear coat...dupont # G9900s and 72400s clear if only dupont is available...the 72400 is a baking clear,,,an all purpose clear is 7900s..it is possible with the right conditions..prep most important...to shoot a car and not have to wet sand..with urethane clear unlike laquer you need to wet sand and polish within 72 hrs...most of the time depending on dirt or orange peel you can get away with 1200 grit..but for the ultimate flat finish you can go from 1200-1500-2000-2500 and even 3000grit...but it has to be done quickly otherwise the clear gets so hard it takes more effort to polish/compound/buff out...their are so many paint options available and the all work..if you follow procedures,,if they didn't they would not be in buisness

·
15,681 Posts
an edit..you can wet sand and polish centari,,have a few restoration shops that do it but...it sooooo old school and does not have the durability of a urethane finish :yup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

:D I mentioned Centari from a guy that did body work for Chevy in the 70's-80's. I guess that is why it sounds so "old school" now. Thanks for getting me in the 21st century!!!

David

·
Registered
456 Posts
gbsean, i need to ask... what is g9900s? a factory packed black? g would seem to indicate chromaone and as far as the 9900 the 99 would indicate 99 black, the "00" mean what.. just their way of fac pac -ing the stuff? i have hit my deck lid with 99G fac pac chromaone black , only because i am waiting in line with a paint guy i look up to and i could no longer stand to look at the way my deck looked! i did , hey i was bored, i did go and 1200-then 1500 it and then compound and polish... mirror absolutely sweet, 05725'ed it and then wooled polishing it. that being said i still think the glasurit 55-1250 looks so much deeper and that is what i am going to have applied to my gn, but at out store we do not even stock 72400. you said it was a baking clear, thattells me it is a baking relative to 72200s, would you agree? hell you must know, am i right? most of our baking shops are hitting in on the G2's. i guess the main question i would like to know is what is that 9900 thing!?? and hell yea the 99a thing hell yea way old school, performance pack or not, it's not even close.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i will say though that the only thing i see as a benefit of the 99a thing or any fac pac for that matter is you can panel paint. as long as a lot of time hasn't expired between apps. smach a fender , replace it and panel it, looks great!, nut it does not approach the depth of any BC/CC system.

·
15,681 Posts
the G2 4500 and 4700 are procuction clears designed for fast bake and polish..for the collision shop...get em in and get em out...are able to buff after cool down...the g9900s is chromapremier it is an activated basecoat you need to add 12305s...it give great repair properties my car is done in glasurit with the old 21 line 1250...and yes it is a bluer black I added clear to last coat to give it that wet look..all apint systems work as long as you do not become a chemist :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
super, but what is that 9900 thing?

·
Registered
456 Posts
my bad you answered that so to say, i just haven't heard of it... i didn't read before i jumped the gun, is the 9900 like the 99g? i see what your saying about the 12xxx maybe that is the difference//// thanks anyway!

·
Registered
456 Posts
see again i didn't read what i saw.. chroma premier, that makes sence!, still would like to know about it though

·
15,681 Posts
g9900s is chroma premier "super black" base coat 99g is chroma one single stage 99k is chroma base base coat their also chroma premier single stage and off hand I cannot remember the # it is not very popular 9900n I think

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.