Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had any experiences with a Paddle Shifter, E type tranny?.
AOD, or 4L8E?.
TIA

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
ive worked on the allison trans in the duramax with the paddle shifter, the gxp with the paddle shifter and the G6 with the slap stick shifter wich is essentially a paddle, what about them?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ajt86 said:
ive worked on the allison trans in the duramax with the paddle shifter, the gxp with the paddle shifter and the G6 with the slap stick shifter wich is essentially a paddle, what about them?
How well are they working out?. Are they proving to be trouble free?.
I didn't realise that GM had any oem offerings using them.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
yep everything seems to be working fine with them :D

the only think i hate is they dont act like a manual trans where if you rev the hell out of them they will hit a rev limiter- they shift. so if you want it to shift hard on a G6 you put it in manual first and just hit the pedal to the floor- itll hit redline and shift everytime

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seems I remember an article that someone had installed one on a TR. Been some 6 months +/- back.

I have an electric shifter on my car and so far I really like it.

HOW

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
HellOnWheels said:
Seems I remember an article that someone had installed one on a TR. Been some 6 months +/- back.

I have an electric shifter on my car and so far I really like it.

HOW
I'd like to see that. The late model cars use electronic transmissions and all the paddle shifter is, is a switch that tells the solenoids to open or close with the help of the PCM/TCM, more or less.

I have a few ideas on how I would build one for our cars but dont have the time to actually get down and dirty and make it happen.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
turbofish38 said:
I'd like to see that. The late model cars use electronic transmissions and all the paddle shifter is, is a switch that tells the solenoids to open or close with the help of the PCM/TCM, more or less.

I have a few ideas on how I would build one for our cars but dont have the time to actually get down and dirty and make it happen.
John Spina has one on his Spyder.
Moon Eng., as I recall.
Last I heard he was happy with it, but, that was some time ago.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Thanks Bruce. I know somebody has had to come up with this idea before I did. I was watching American Hot Rod one night and they put some type of electric shifter on a 32 coupe. Searched the internet and came up empty handed. Now what I'd like to do is put some paddles ala Ferrari style on the Buick steering wheel. I guess I could always use one of them tiny steering wheels from a shifter cart if all else fails. :LOL: What would be really neat is if you could put the electronics from one of the electronic transmissions on the THM200-4R and make your own 200-4RE and control it with a stand alone TCM. I bet there is another tenth or two hiding there if you could control the shifts based on the engines state of tune.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
turbofish38 said:
What would be really neat is if you could put the electronics from one of the electronic transmissions on the THM200-4R and make your own 200-4RE and control it with a stand alone TCM. I bet there is another tenth or two hiding there if you could control the shifts based on the engines state of tune.
Yes, being able to set the shift points for each gear, and optimizing that, would have to be worth something. Not to mention it'd give back the *4 Speed Feel*.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts