Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Newbie!
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my AC got hot and I looked down to see my temp was REALLY hot (while moving) close to 250, so I immediately threw on the heat and opened some windows and the car came back down to around 200. I turned all air off and just left the windows open and the car was fine operating around 200 like normal.

What would cause this?? any ideas?

I think it's probably time to invest in a new radiator and water pump and a lower temp thermostat (i suspect) but figured I'd ask around see if there's something else that could be causing this issue in the mean time.

·
Newbie!
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
screw it.. I just decided to buy a 3 row aluminum radiator to replace old faithful and a new water pump and 180 deg thermostat.

·
GN Old Timer
90 Posts
While you're sprucing up the cooling system, test the High and Low Speed Fan Relays, just to be sure they are working properly.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Steves site should have some info for testing the fans Vortex Buicks

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Every GN owner needs to read Steves site along with our original buick bible Turbo Regal Web Site

·
Newbie!
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every GN owner needs to read Steves site along with our original buick bible Turbo Regal Web Site
Indeed a wealth of knowledge!
This weekend the new radiator and thermostat and water pump shall be installed, and I'll be doing a little bit of body work as I'm taking her to be painted next weekend! WOOT!!
Pictures to follow (in a different thead later)..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like your fan(s) is not coming on. There are three sensors on the motor for the coolant temp. Two are horizontal on the front of the intake and one is verticle on the driver side of the throttle body. I just went through this on my car.
(1) Horizontal sensor has one wire and sends temp signal to gauge on dash
(2) Horizontal sensor has 2 wire connector, sends temp to ecm
(3) Verticle sensor on d/s of throttle body has one green wire connector, sends signal to radiator fans to turn them on. Here is a pic Buy Factory Air Radiator Fan Switch 35946 at Advance Auto Parts

I replaced #3 on my car and all is well. When the engine was over 200 degrees the oil pressure dropped on the highway due to thinned oil. Use teflon tape or paste on new sensor to prevent leaks. Takes a 13/16" socket. You will have to disconnect one of the accelerator cables (just remove clip and cable comes right off). Put socket on sensor, then extension on socket. It isn't a straight shot but close enough. Installation is reverse of removal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts