Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im trying to get my car running riight before i instally me new turbo and fuel pump so i ran a FP gauge to my wiper so i could see if my pump was shot and thats why i keep getting KR. i have my FP set to 43 psi with the line off. i did a few highway runs and when i stomp on the car im getting black smoke out the back and i can smell the fuel like its very rich, the MAF numbers instanlt go to the high 800's and then slowly start dropping down and when they get in the high 600's i get KR and have to let off. my fuel pressure is remaining constant and i have tried tuning my TT chip to add more fuel at WOT but that didnt help so i think i might have a problem somewhere else, also my idle is pretty bad and fluctuates alot, the IAC numbers are sometimes over 100 and sometimes around 40 but never constant so i am going to try to adjust this today but it shouldnt affect my driving performance, right? any thoughts would be great, thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think there are some local guys that can help you...but, first...you are referring to your o2 readings and not your maf numbers..but, if someone looked at your maf numbers, I would not be surprised that you have a bad maf...that is a guess without any input

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
1. Put Erics chip back to the default setting.
2. Your FP should be rising with boost...not staying constant...so your FP is focked...replace with the new one and install the hot wire kit.
3. Adjust your IAC and TPS.
4. The numbers you're seeing are 02's...not MAF numbers.
5. Adjust the knobs in your Translator to on on on off...if you haven't already done so.

I'm betting you're pig rich because you played with Erics chip...and your seeing KR at WOT cuz your FP isn't rising with boost...it's staying constant.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey Ang ( I think) Without alot more data, I would ask the following... 1) have you replaced all vaccuum lines to make sure NO vaccuum leaks? 2) is the throttle body clean or covered in soot? 3) tap on the MAF to see if it is good or bad? (Do you have a known good one to test with?) 4) what is your current turbo set at? 5) I would probably reset eric's tt chip to default and get it to run well with no kr there and then start configuring the chip with more timing/fuel.

If I can help, just let me know, i am more than happy to drive into the city to help you out if need be.
NK!!

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys, the fuel pressure is rising with boost sorry if i wrote that wrong the first time. and yes i meant my 02 numbers as well. wen i put the line on the pressure drops to about 40psi and then rises to about 55 under wot. i tried leaving the chip as it was and i only played with it ebcause i i was getting KR. i just put new plugs, r43ts gapped at .035 and all the vac lines are replaced. how can i tell if my MAF is bad it is the stock one currently

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Swap it with a known good one...and for some reason I thought you had a Translator and LT1 MAF...my bad. I've heard you can tap the MAF and the engine will stumble if it's bad...haven't tried it tho.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
instead of asking him to swap...ask him what it reads at idle and what it reads at wide open throttle in third gear at full boost.

Inspiration is easier than perspiration

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
instead of asking him to swap...ask him what it reads at idle and what it reads at wide open throttle in third gear at full boost.

Inspiration is easier than perspiration
Steve, I just got off the phone with him. This is his daily driver...and from a durability standpoint, I don't want him stranded as the stock MAFs crap out fairly often. Channer, our local parts whore, has about 4 million LT1 MAFs laying around...so all Angelo really needs is a Translator. Angelo...do what Steve says...and report back...but if you see KR...you get your foot out of it like I told you to.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ang, listen to da bum...he'll set you straight. And as discussed on the phone, I am more then happy to lend a hand (although I know I am the most qualified a helping hand is always available) I will try to make my way over with whoever I can round up to help us figure this one out.
And if all else fails, Dan at National Racing is fantastic! He'll get her going if we can't, that's for sure.
NK!!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Steve, I just got off the phone with him. This is his daily driver...and from a durability standpoint, I don't want him stranded as the stock MAFs crap out fairly often. Channer, our local parts whore, has about 4 million LT1 MAFs laying around...so all Angelo really needs is a Translator. Angelo...do what Steve says...and report back...but if you see KR...you get your foot out of it like I told you to.
Here is the way I look at it, Brad.

I hate to tell people to start buying parts in hope of fixing a problem when I don't know what the problem is. He may need that money to buy the part that is the problem. Of course, money may not be important, but, I don't know that.:dunno:

You are correct in that mafs are prone to fail after this many years and it may not be a bad investment whether, or not, it is the problem in this case.

I recently gave someone on this board a rebuilt maf that I had bought ten years ago and it was/is still working...but, we really don't have any statistics to prove either the failure rate of the old ones, or the reliability of the current rebuilds. We just have the reflex to buy one because that is what we have heard for years.

I guess I just prefer something a bit more scientific than immediately telling someone what to buy when I don't know anything about the problem.

I guess I am not suited for this hobby anymore.:dunno:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Gnkidd, do you know how much boost you are running? Have you adjusted this at all. Reason I ask is you stated that you have 43psi fuel with the line off and the fuel max's out to 55. This would idicate you should only be running 12psi boost. Also what fuel? 94?

·
Registered
684 Posts
:D Woops, just whent back and see you have 40psi with line on......my bad. So you should be about 15# of boost.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Here is the way I look at it, Brad.

I hate to tell people to start buying parts in hope of fixing a problem when I don't know what the problem is. He may need that money to buy the part that is the problem. Of course, money may not be important, but, I don't know that.:dunno:

You are correct in that mafs are prone to fail after this many years and it may not be a bad investment whether, or not, it is the problem in this case.

I recently gave someone on this board a rebuilt maf that I had bought ten years ago and it was/is still working...but, we really don't have any statistics to prove either the failure rate of the old ones, or the reliability of the current rebuilds. We just have the reflex to buy one because that is what we have heard for years.

I guess I just prefer something a bit more scientific than immediately telling someone what to buy when I don't know anything about the problem.

I guess I am not suited for this hobby anymore.:dunno:
Steve, I can understand where you're coming from from the scientific end of it. That MAF is 23 years old, and I've seen countless people in the Toronto Area alone looking for stock MAFs cuz theirs crapped out. The only stock MAFs that I'm aware of that are calibrated correctly are from Kirbans...and factor in the exchange rate...13% sales tax...5% duty...shipping...and UPS's cute little charges at the door that we get gouged with up here...and you're looking at $300.00. Failure rates with the LT1 and LS1's appears to be extremely low...and I haven't read of anyone on either board mentioning about one failing....tho I'm sure there is the odd one. I'd rather have him do it once...and not have to worry about it. There's a good reason why I'm the only one pounding on my car at the track every weekend...cuz the costs are so prohibitive up here...few can afford to break anything...me included...and that's the reason I leave mine at 18 PSI...longevity. A pair of head gaskets and an intake gasket runs $300.00 up here. If it turns out it's not the MAF and he decides to keep using it...then that's fine...and I hope he gets countless more miles from it. I'm betting he needs the rad recored...he's seeing 200 degrees in town with the fan going...and 175 on the highway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts