Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if you've had it out yet and how it's running (can you feel those 21 extra cubes)? Did it get to make passes in Ga, what kind of times if you did?

I'm interested to see how much knock those hypers can stand. I'm not up to putting $700 bucks in a set of pistons.

Keep us posted and I hope it's doing Great!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
As far as performance it went 12.45 @ 109.97 on pump gas. This was with a TA-49 turbo. It's going to be down for awhile as I am adding a remote oiler and plugging the bypass. I need to take some pictures of this other 4.1 casting that we almost used that has a cracked deck.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
That would be great! Since Hypers have tickled the 9's I think you are good to go to a stock blocks limits!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
But, how many times? :p

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
At least a season. I watched Derek go 10.10 at least four times on Buick Day at Cecil. Nice three foot wheelie every time! He has been running that motor for a while. Banning has had my old motor in his car for about six years (am I right Banning? I can't remember back that far) and has recently gone 10's with it. They will last or destruct the same as anything else according to the tune!

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Orlando_87GN:
As far as performance it went 12.45 @ 109.97 on pump gas. This was with a TA-49 turbo. It's going to be down for awhile as I am adding a remote oiler and plugging the bypass. I need to take some pictures of this other 4.1 casting that we almost used that has a cracked deck.
Glad to hear it's doing good. Do you have a set of ported heads on it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Speaking of Hyper's, is there any advantage to running them over TRW forged? I know the TRW's are about $250 a set compared to $600 for Ross/J&E etc so that is a significant price difference but how much can you save by running Hypers?

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
On a 3.8 motor no. Unfortunately the only 4.1 pistons in forged are custom. They run $500-$600. For this reason Hypers look like the choice to go with besides they hold up well. At $150 a set costs are kept down. Until I smoke a Hyper piston that wasn't created by me or my tuning I will run them. If one goes and it wasn't due to me I will always always run forged after that. A street/strip motor will probably benefit more from Hypers than an all out/race car which would be more suited to forged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts