Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, finally the time has come to make the upgrade. the stocker just does not have the top end i'm looking for. there are 3 turbos that i'm looking at right now. TA49, TE44, GT3255E. i'm going to be running the stock stall converter for the fall but will be upgrading the stall and to an alky system when the cars down for the winter. want very streetable 11s. i'm leaning towards the 3255 since i'm seeing lately that it has the most potential for later down the road. my current mods are: kirban 3'' downpipe, 3'' testpipe with dump, rjc powerplate, adjustable wga, adjustable fpr, scanmaster 2.1, 009 injectors, walboro 340 fp w/ hotwire, eaton posi(coming soon), stock ic with dutt neck mod, 3'' maf pipe w/9'' k&N filter, pass side and drivers side breathers, TT chip(in the mail), and nitto 555R's on the stock rims. is there really that big of a difference between the 49 and the 44? i'm hearing it's the same turbo, but i also here the 44 has more top end which i'm looking for. i'm seeing the 3255 pulling some pretty good numbers on the forum as well. will be getting a q boost in car boost controller july but that's really all left that i want to do performance wise. so which to get? right now i'm still leaning towards the 3255.

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
Ta-49 if you want stock appearing, Te44 if you don't.

Numbers in my sig are done with a Ta49.

Jeremy

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i love my 44. it pulls very hard. the 44 gets my vote.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about the gt3255 tho? i've been in a ta49 car(high 11 sec-low 12s) and the car moved pretty good but am looking for a bit more up top. don't wanna touch the heads or cam ever unless the motor goes. anyone have good feedback on the 3255? thanks for the input nocooler. seen your mods before your times almost made me keep the peg leg in the car but have the eaton all ready to go in next month.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firebird you on the stock converter? if i have the stock converter on for the fall until i can upgrade will it be ridiculously laggy?

Greg

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
I have a posi now :crazy:

The GT3255 is smaller than the 44/49 - supposed to hit harder in the mid-range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
look at the 3255....it will work with your combo...that's the turbo everyone is bragging about...it hits real hard in mid-range & spools real quick....there has been alot of +++++++ things about the turbo...imo

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The GT3255 is smaller than the 44/49
It's true that the GT3255 has a smaller compressor wheel than the 44/49- 55mm vs 58mm. But the GT wheel is a different design, with more efficient blades. You would have to do a side by side comparison of the turbo maps to see which one is "bigger", and under what conditions. The GT wheels are more efficient, so there would be less load on the drive turbine, maybe less exhaust back pressure, maybe cooler temp of the air out of the turbo. It's hard to say which is "better", but easy to say which is cheaper. Like a lot of Buick products, you will see a lot of recommendations from people who have tried one, and don't know much about the other.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheapest price for the 49 $719 ?
cheapest price for the 3255 $800?
anyone know anywhere cheaper. would like to purchase new. the thing is the 49 and 44 are proven turbos already. if someone with a 3255 could chime in that would be great.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
greg ya know im your friend and everything but i dont understand people that say i wanna get a new turbo NOW, nothing wrong with my old one, but i want a new one now, but i dont want to get a convertor to match it yet im gonna wait 6 months for that and ill deal with the lag. whats the point? deal with the stock turbo for now and when it comes time to put the GN to sleep for winter do the convertor and turbo all at the same time

i understand that some of the turbos in your range will work with a stock convertor but why force yourself to get somthing that will acually spool with a stock convertor just because you wanna jump the gun? complimentary mods should be done together IMHO

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i hear ya, but if i don't need the converter yet why upgrade it? the te44 and ta49 should spool fine with the stock converter. if i don't need a bigger converter i won't get one, but it can't hurt to step up to a 2800 stall or so later on down the road. i know what i want with the car, no heads, no cams, streetable so that's why i'm going with a smaller turbo upgrade. the stock turbo just runs out of steam and want more top end. the gt series turbos are great but i don't think they are for me. the 49's price is right and stock appearing is nice to have too. just want to dip into the 11s and still be able to make the drive up ct here and there when it's nice out. with my mods now i shouldn't have to upgrade anything else for the 49 and just bolt on and go. want a simple setup and want to buy the turbo new no more used **** because that only brings headaches. does the 44 have more top end like ppl say or just a myth?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
the 44 is slightly stronger on the top end than the 49.

Either will take a properly running car to near the mid 11 range. Really good combinations will do a bit better than that.

·
Brisbon 87 GN
626 Posts
why not get a cpte60 turbonetics from cotton like me? and the gbodyparts stock local intercooler with a set of 65lbs motrons and a billet 3200 stall converter and a set of ceramic 14ga poston headers with a full forged engine rebuild with a slight overbore .030 and stainless valves with heavy springs with dampers, etc..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brisbon said:
why not get a cpte60 turbonetics from cotton like me? and the gbodyparts stock local intercooler with a set of 65lbs motrons and a billet 3200 stall converter and a set of ceramic 14ga poston headers with a full forged engine rebuild with a slight overbore .030 and stainless valves with heavy springs with dampers, etc..
too much $.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i have a 2800 stall in my car. its a great combo i love it. i plan on running mid 11's with my 44 in sept (if the tranny holds out) i'm also looking at a new combo thats a tad diffrent then anyone i've seen so far. if it were me personaly i'd go with a 44 with a .63 housing. thats exactaly what i have and i love it. if you can wait for a bit i'm goign to be selling mine.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
stealthtt said:
There was a guy running one at BG this year, and the results were very impressive. I forget his name, but he was one of Cal's friends, might drop an email to Cal and see if he has his address, or a phone number. I'm still considering running one, thou going crazy for a large BB unit is still a thought...

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm very happy with the TE44 (.63 housing) I just installed. It seems to spool slightly slower than the stock turbo but it pulls like a freight train once you get rolling :) And I'm not even running much boost (16-17psi).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
paul, are you on the stock converter? where did you order yours from? i'm trying to find someone in the nj/ct area that has one so i can go for a rip.

Greg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts