Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 TR has a 2 3/4" cat back dual exhaust. I've recently ordered a Torque Tech 3" DP which will use the factory elbow and need some advice before installation of DP into existing exhaust system. I have the factory (prob original) cat convertor on my car as the fellow I bought the car from last year resided in one of our GA counties that has emissions to which it passed. My GA county does not currently have emissions testing although we may into the future with our dirty air situation. I'm toying with the test pipe vs. gutted cat option to mate the DP to existing 2 3/4 exhaust at Y. It appears that the test pipes are getting hard to find (I did see one in the ATR catalog) or I could pick up a used OEM GM cat at the boneyard next to nothing that could be gutted and hollowed out. What options do I have other than these and what would be your recommendations to mate the 3" DP to dual exhaust at Y taking into consideration that I might have to reinstall the cat at some future point if emissions comes to my county? If I go with a test pipe, what do I need in order to mate the 3" to 2 3/4"? My car is also daily driven and I would like to extract as much streetable HP as possible without losing its street manners. Car has mild mods I could list if necessary.

Evans Ward
Macon, GA
87 Turbo-T
70 GS455

·
Registered
221 Posts
If I understand what you are saying. The cat where it attaches to the system going back is a oval type pipe with a 4 bolt flange. So cat gutted or test pipe, that end should be bolt up a go. The other end towards the motor will now be 3" after you install 3" DP. So, you will have to have a shop or whoever modify the pipe end of the cat to receive a 3" pipe. Or the best way would be using a 3" test pipe. Your issue might be the lenght. I don't know about the Torque Tech brand, but depending on where the DP stops will determine how long the cat or test pipe needs to be on the pipe end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts