Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am planning to do a motor this winter and would like your advice.

I am starting with:
- SG1 block off a TTA
- stock crank 0/0
- stock heads which will be flowed

- pistons?
- rods?
- valve train?
- roller cam?
- girdle?
- stock ECU or DFI?
- special machining considerations?
- intake / TB combos?

Please gimme your suggestions. My goal is rock solid motor that will run consistent low 11's / high 10's without me having to worry about it.

Thanks.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
A stock block can reach your goals. You have to worry about the knowledge of the tuner/driver or the guy playing with the boost. He will have most control over a "rock solid motor" What is a SG1/TTA motor?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Where is that Ford guy named Mike when you need him? :D :p

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SG1 is the block code from Turbo Trans Am (TTA), it's '89 vintage and they made a few small changes to it over '87 bit quite minor.

As for the guy tuning / controlling the boost, that would be me! wink I'm planning on going with a wide band O2 setup to watch my AFR and use my DirectScan for the rest.

As for engine buildups, any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Whenever most see SG1 they think of Stage 1 blocks. TTA block is enough for most to understand. Budget plays the biggest role in building the motor. Machine work is usually the same price no matter what you are building. You have to decide on parts. TRW pistons may be $275 and JE's will cost $600. You can build a basic motor for $2500 or $9000 for a all out monster. Whats you budget?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I thought SG1 was the replacement code on replacement short blocks from the dealer?

What heads does the car have? TTA or the GN heads-wondering about the compression ratio.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Steve Wood:
I thought SG1 was the replacement code on replacement short blocks from the dealer?

What heads does the car have? TTA or the GN heads-wondering about the compression ratio.
I also thought SG1 was just a stock replacement block from the dealer? I am also interested if it has the TTA or GN heads and pistons. dunno

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
This is from the Turbo Regal Web site.

Visually, this is a standard prodction block, except for the SG1 casting mark
Close examinination may reveal slight casting differences but those could be just variations in the casting process
These blocks were the last ones cast and used as replacement and crate motors, as far as we can tell, they were never installed in the TRs from the factory, although they may have been used in the TTAs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have any of the hard parts, except for the rods (which are stock) but I may not use them if they don't check out. So it's a clean slate to start from.

The heads are stock GN with mild porting but not flowed. I will have them flowed and ported even more if needed.

As for budget, that depends. I'm looking for value, of course, but I also believe certain things can't be skimped. A bill of 5 to 6g's is within my expectation, but you guys can tell me...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
scope168:
I .

A bill of 5 to 6g's is within my expectation, but you guys can tell me...

Thanks.
Wow you sure changed your tune from when you told me you were not interested in my shortblock
"you are asking too much,especially at that price"
The motor is still for sale:
Stock block 030.
trw forged pistons.
2 steel main caps.
arp main studs
arp rod bolts(series 2000)
20/20 crank
clevite main/rod bearings
new cam bearings
oil pan/balancer/flex plate included.
can include roller cam.
balanced/assembled and ready to go!
$2500 canadian funds.

powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
As the gn used different pistons from the TTA, I wonder how the same short block could be sold for either? Maybe it just applies to the block with no inards?

·
Registered
64 Posts
There was one on E-Bay not too long ago (maybe this one) that the guy claimed was for a TTA but the casting number on the pistons didn't pan out if I remember correctly. Doesn't really matter though as running GN pistons with TTA heads will only increase the CR .27:1, the heads make way more of a difference than the pistons.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
But, running GN heads on a TTA short block will drop the compression more, and, if one is like me, and prefers higher, rather than lower compression, then it is a bad combo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts