Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to Canada to Mosport to play on Monday and Tuesday, a friend of mine setup his video camera in my car for a few laps. I sure need more practice, its a lot tougher than it looks but holy crap is this fun! You don't get a sense of speed from the video but trust me, the majority of the track is over 90mph.

I put 270 miles on the car in 2 days up there. There were a few times I was daring enough to hold it out on the back straight and saw over 150mph then into turn 8 at over 100mph. Talk about fun :D

I need to buy a video camera and work on my video editing. :)

Its about 15 meg..

http://media.putfile.com/Mosport-with-my-03-Cobra

·
RIP Nick Picozzi
2,311 Posts
Car looked great man gotta give that for props :headbang: :cheers: as much as I do not want to but it is still a ford lol

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its still a Ford, but its cheap to race and parts are all over the place. Trust me if I had room (and money) there would be a TTA and GN in the stable as well.

Here is another couple laps chasing down a kenne bell blown FFR Cobra, I'm still on cloud 9 from this trip. What a total blast!

http://media.putfile.com/Mosport2-chasing-an-FFR-Cobra

·
8,392 Posts
those were pretty cool..You blew by everyone! :headbang:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
That looks fun indeed! What are the racing expenses compared to drag racing?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The entry fee for the events is more expensive but you get a ton more time actually driving the car.

The 2 day event was $350 bucks but I had 4-5 hours of driving. Figure you pay 15 bucks to go drag racing, you stand around for 4-5 hours and make 4-5 runs, you aren't even driving for 1 min.

I drag raced for a long time, if you have the chance to try it you'll love it. Its 1000x more fun than drag racing IMO. :headbang:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thats what I want to do with the Saleen!!! do you need a bar in the car??

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every club has its own rules but typically you don't need one, although with the speeds you see its def a nice have. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Man!! That looks like a ton of fun. Nice track too!! I used to road race my 69 Firebird here at Willow Springs and through the canyons of Muhulland. Took a ride in Stan Davis' 200 MPH Buick once at Duttweilers. Words cannot describe the acceleration of a 1000HP road car on the Freeway. Looks like you did well. Congrats!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Awesome video! Have a few questions for you....Do you have a problem with the car overheating as you are in it awhile? Do you use the nitrous for the roadracing? Any mods to the block? I wonder how long it can withstand a day with 270 miles of WOT haha. Thanks for answering my stupid ?'s.

Jason

·
Registered
743 Posts
any Saleens there?? If this car dont sell I want to get into that stuff,just have to find a place to do it.

Attachments

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
I like the way you editted in a Ford passing other cars. :D :wink: :cheers:

Way to go.... seriously.!

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quiky One said:
Awesome video! Have a few questions for you....Do you have a problem with the car overheating as you are in it awhile? Do you use the nitrous for the roadracing? Any mods to the block? I wonder how long it can withstand a day with 270 miles of WOT haha. Thanks for answering my stupid ?'s.

Jason
No Nitrous, in fact I took it out of the car and sold it. I wanted to run a 10 and I did, I honestly have no desire to go drag racing anymore. This stuff is too much fun. :)

I haven't run into heating issues yet but I haven't run the car in the summer temps either. It was in the mid 60s over those couple days, I am doing 1 day at New Hampshire International Speedway on July 3rd and 2 more days at Mont Tremblant in Canada in August. The computer has a failsafe built into it, if the coolant temp hits 240 it will start dumping all the boost and basically go into limp mode. If that happens I have a bigger (less boost) pulley that I'll swap on. I'm hoping the temps aren't that bad, I wasn't planning on running any summer events but a bunch of people I know are going so I got talked into it.

The motor is factory stock, I have had the stock blower ported, changed the upper and lower pulleys, swapped in 60lb injectors and installed a Mafia (like a translator for the maf). On the street I run 23 degrees and 12:1 A/F, I made a diff OT tune that runs 21 degrees (and it pulls more as it gets hot) and the A/F is 11.5:1.

The motors are pretty strong, the "weak" link appears to be the pistons but I say weak as it will live a long time making 500+ to the wheels with many many 600RWHP cars running around on stock motors. The piston to wall clearance is really tight from the factory and so heat causes the pistons to scuff the walls. I'm not expecting any problems, I tune it down when I'm doing open track stuff so it should live a long time. Most of the engine failures I have seen look like poor tuning/detonation or idiots trying to run 150mph for 2 min at a time on a race tune.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1NASTY69Z said:
any Saleens there?? If this car dont sell I want to get into that stuff,just have to find a place to do it.
I haven't seen any, the fox body cars are getting old. I race with a guy that has an 02 Roush Stage 3.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha

I was on track with one of those last year, it was pretty fast. :D

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
We also had a Porsche Carerra GT. The $300K model...

I offered the owners free driving instruction, they refused. :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts