Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject came to mind when I was at the store today about the many types and weights of motor oil for sale out there. What is the break down and benefit of each weight and type of motor oil. I see there is 0/30 5/30 10/30 10/40 15/50 20/50 conventional and synthetic. Any idea what each weights design is applied to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not asking about car usage that is a given. I just want to get information in general and thoughts on these different weights.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't know for sure but the first number is the "viscosity?" at 0* and the second number is at 100*.. or something like that anyway. Synthetics are much slipperyer (sp?) so don't need the higher viscosities. Generally the hotter the climate the thicker the oil you would want, like 10/40. I have articles on synthetics and totally believe in them for all my race motors I've built.

Sorry I'm not much help otherwise..

KS

------------------

87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, Stock Turbo, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Go to the web site SAE.org and search for oil viscosity. You should be able to find all the information you ever wanted to know about engine oils from an engineering perspective

1 - 5 of 5 Posts