Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, I know the picture is crude, but it gets the point across. Is is o.k. to wire three gauges in tandem like this? Currently I only have a single boost gauge wired up, but plan on going to the three gauge pod A-pillar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
87geeinn said:
Haha, I know the picture is crude, but it gets the point across. Is is o.k. to wire three gauges in tandem like this? Currently I only have a single boost gauge wired up, but plan on going to the three gauge pod A-pillar.
Yes.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Hook it to the grey wire behind the radio. That way they'll work with the lights and dim with the dashlights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought the twin holder for the console, and Auto Meter Water Temp & Oil Pressure Gauges from Summit. Now I only wired in two, but used your theory for both the lights and the gauges themselves. Works great.

Above the forward end of the console (below the dash), there is a lite source for lighting the "tray" area. I tapped my lights into there. So they dim with the dash lights.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
just for your reference- thats called wired in series- and yes theres nothing wrong with that

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
looks like parallel to me :)

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
parallel is correct

joe

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Looks in series to the "casual observer"--but def. //. :yup: :cool:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
if you wuz old enuf to build crystal sets, you would know! :D

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
87geeinn said:

Yes, it'll work. As long as they're not VDO's. VDO gauges for the most part are not internally compensated, and any small shift in voltage supplied to them will yield some pretty strange readings!!! With 5 gauges (3 being VDO) can you guess which ones I trust and the one's I don't.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:
What's next?, wrapping varnished wire around oat meal containers?......

OK, how about a *Cat's Whisker*?.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Steve Wood said:
Well there was no electricity or radio waves involved-but I used to talk to my next door neighbor through Cambell soup cans and a string before watching the "Twighlight Zone". I guess that's how I knew they were wired in parallell.
:D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
What's next?, wrapping varnished wire around oat meal containers?......

OK, how about a *Cat's Whisker*?.
We used cats whisker style crystals..Later, we were high tech and used a selenium diode that required no fiddlin' around! :wink:

We wound the coils on a broom stick because we wanted small before the transistor radio was introduced.

Then we discovered what could be accomplished with an audio transformer, vibrator tube from a car radio, and a good battery. No more radio listening for us!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:
We used cats whisker style crystals..Later, we were high tech and used a selenium diode that required no fiddlin' around! :wink:

We wound the coils on a broom stick because we wanted small before the transistor radio was introduced.

Then we discovered what could be accomplished with an audio transformer, vibrator tube from a car radio, and a good battery. No more radio listening for us!
Next we'll be hearing about life before trees.... :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Well, I do wish I had a flat head Ford street rod!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Steve Wood said:
Well, I do wish I had a flat head Ford street rod!
Yeah, me too. A J&W Classic's coupe body and their computer designed frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts