Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody accidentally left it out? What kind of issues did it create. I am thinking belt miss alignment,oil leak,and possilbly the crank sensor getting hit by the reluctor ring on the balancer.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I've wondered what the hell it even does. My guess is it keeps oil away from the front seal so it doesn't leak. :dunno:
Did you accidently leave it off, or are you looking for weight reduction. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
i found it like 4 months later in the bottom of the cam box i used- never had a problem :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
the timeing chain is a splash oil system chris so it slings oil at the timeing chain- but also does deflect it from the front cover seal

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,I left it out :eek: not sure what to do that why I am seeking opinions :D It's about .040 thick.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Do what I do. Pull the engine out, disassemble everything, and install the slinger. :)

Ask Steve Woods or Ed Baker what they think.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
i would recommend you install it though, it does serve a purpose.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
we have argued the merits for years. Most seem to think it is not thick enuf to make a negative effect on the alignment. They also think its purpose is to solely deflect oil away from the old fashioned rope seal to prevent leakage.

I always say put it in...had not thought if it served any purpose with regard to splashing the timing chain...plenty of cars running around with out one..that is for sure. :)

flip a coin. :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's staying out. Its my engine so if it leaks I have to deal with it,if creates any other issues my dime too. If it was a customers cars it would go right back in there :D

I found the damn thing after I assembled to whole entire front cover,pullies,etc. I was pissed. I was so paranoid about the cam button falling out I totally forgot the slinger :crazy:

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
Oh, thats suppose to go back in?? :dunno: :wink:

Mine got left out due to being out of original shape. No problems after a year.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Just remember the balancer will be .040 deeper. Make sure your not torquing the balancer bolt on new found rusted threads in the crank. Also check the alignment of the crank sensor.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Steve V said:
Yes,I left it out :eek: not sure what to do that why I am seeking opinions :D It's about .040 thick.

I just measured one. It's only .031" thick. I seriously doubt that the waterpump pully is within that spec. (or the A/C and alternator can stay within .031").

Just think of all the rotational mass you got rid of. The less polar moment of inertia the better. That's probally as good as getting a 6" torqueconverter and all the RJC pullies combined!!!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Steve V said:
It's staying out. Its my engine so if it leaks I have to deal with it,if creates any other issues my dime too.
Can I have it :yup: I need one for my 4.1

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
don't think it will leak with the neopreen seal. :)

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
earlbrown said:
I just measured one. It's only .031" thick. I seriously doubt that the waterpump pully is within that spec. (or the A/C and alternator can stay within .031").!!
I have one that measures .040 with a Starret mic. I wonder if they vary that much or one of our mics are wrong :dunno:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I bet they vary depending on what batch they came from

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
ULYCYC said:
I have one that measures .040 with a Starret mic. I wonder if they vary that much or one of our mics are wrong :dunno:

Mitutoyo Digimatic's here.

Since they're made of sheet steel I guess they just grabbed whatever's closest.

Either that or there's some precision **** going on that's influenced with the thickness of the oil flingers......

......if that's the case ignore my excitement about the lower polar moment of inertia (and pray to whatever goddess you belive in)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts