Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions as too how i can fix this oil leak i have ..
it appears to be comin from the rear main seal area, but my engine has the girdle too.
so does the whole motor have to come out again?
are any of you running the rope type seal in the rear main?
i know i specified the poly type when my engine was redone but the told me otherwise and that the rope type is just as good. ya right, welp now im ready to kill someone!!
finally get the engine in and fired up now this and it actually leaks bad enough that you can see the oil dripping onto the crossover then burning off..

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Take it back to them & make them fix it"Valve covers also leak down to that area to"A little dye mixed in the oil will reveil any leaks with a blacklight.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
girdled engines are notorious leakers..

on the other hand, I would not discount valve covers. Rope seals or not as good but initially, they should not drip like that.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
salvageV6 has the rope seal, changed once under warranty 120K miles ago.
Only thing the dealer did right on the car. Maybe 5-10 drops a week hit the driveway.

New GN had a neoprene seal put in on Friday and of course it leaks.

Thimble full every time you run the car, very annoying. New car may end up in the shredder before salvageV6......

------------------
WE4, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP race cat., Postons Headers, 21/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, 16 pos. Maxeffort thumbwheel chip, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,snows, 307 adj.reg./ gauges,scamaster and D.S.,BSTC,small stuff too. V4 IS IN!!! Not legal for racing.
GN loaded, mostly stock, car #2. 112K miles. Accufab reg. 160stat.,Scanmaster.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i pulled the engine again..
tore the monster apart, and redid the rear seal (neopreme)then rtv the girdle down after several hours of cleaning, so it should seal this time, oh ya when i took the rear cap off they had used those little rubber strips on the sides, could this have been the prob?
well almost finished forgot to get an oil pan gskt, doh!!!
i tried to get ahlod of the shop that did the motor but they were gone for the long weekend..
and im not real patient...but they will be hearing from me about this!!!
is 15 psi hot at idle accectabe pressure?
stock pump gears cover

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Did they also use silicon with those rubber strips?Mine has the rubber strips but is also filled with silicone"No leaks so far.However I havent used to much boost with it either.

------------------
Keith Davis--86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welp i finally got it done!!!!
NO MORE LEAKS!!!
yes they used the rubber strips with a small amount of sealent, they also used the rope seal, and appeared they didnt use anything on the girdle to block face...
So i have prepared a bill for them on tuesday.
why should i have to pay for all that extra stuff when the motor was supposed to be a simple turn key install...
wish me luck!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts