Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
AC Delco PF-52 the good old fashion blue one is as good as they get.

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, CAS V4, 3' BGC Downpipe with ported elbow and all the other usual stuff

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
I used the Purolator Pure ones with great results. I dont have a part# handy cause I gave all the extra ones I had away when I sold all my parts.. Just cross refernce the AC PF52 at the auto parts store for Purolator Pure One oil filter. Its a shiny blue filter..

------------------
DTA... don't trust anybody...
- - - - - -
Steve Ruston
1989 Mustang LX Coupe
5 speed, mostly stock w/ small mods... For now anyway :D
1976 Chev Caprice Classic,
96000 miles, Red, 400 SBC, TH 350, BIG heavy chrome bumpers..
Daily driver, parts chaser, traffic buster & your worst nightmare if you park too close to me at Walmart :D
1987 Turbo Limited--> Sold Nov 2001

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Pure One part number is 24011. Works great......less filling

------------------

Best time so far: 12.78 at 107.5mph on radials, 2.05 60 ft
Stock Turbo/IC/injectors.....
Car weight without driver 3610 lbs
Ported Ford IC on the way......... :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The Mobil 1's are good filters...similar to the Ultragards in ability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Mobil 1 is nothing more than a dressed up Fram...Beware a great deal of tests have shown the not be anywhere near as effective as purolators and couple of other brands...I use Pure One PL30001 it is a good deal bigger(more surface area) but the seal ring and everything fits and you get about an extra 1/2 quart of oil in the system.....Just a thought....

------------------
87' Blu-t ----***STOLEN***
***RECOVERED***...On the comeback trail..

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Publish your sources for the above information, please.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
BLU-T This was the findings of the Mopar filter study: MOBIL1 FILTERS
Like the Champion, this filter is made by Champion Industries. However, it uses a unique end plate and a thicker can that make it the strongest filter available for wide-distribution retail sale. It also does not use the fragile paper media of the Champion filter. I’m happy to say that this filter is NOT a fake. It is definitely a unique design.

It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and is much stronger than the fragile, Champion paper media. It is rated just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high-pressure spikes during start-up. Given the choice between the Purolator Pure One and the Mobil 1 filters, I would choose the Mobil 1 because of the restriction concerns of the Pure One and that pesky assembly string. However, as with all Mobil 1 products, expect to pay 2 - 3 times as much for this filter.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Also, Frams are made by Allied Signal. As noted above, the Mobil filters are made by Champion Labs.

There is absolutely no similarity between Fram and Mobil 1 filters. Yes, Purolator makes a good filter altho the word is they are discontinuing the comparable model the the Delco Ultraguard...Also the test generally show some of the Napa filters to be good. I believe the Napa 1086 is highly regarded.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I keep seeing delco and purolator filters talked about, is fram a bad thing? Fram has the X2 and the Tough Guard.They both have the anti drain back valve. I backed away from the blue delco filters back when the pf47 was depriving engines of oil back in the 80's.

------------------
87 GN-K&N Filter,Dynomax Exhaust,160 Therm, all the rest-stock

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Have not seen much on the latest Fram filters but the older ones were very cheaply made with low quality valves.

The Delcos are better made but when they came out with the Ultra Series, the quality of the drainback valves went to heck. I have not seen one that would not leak when you blew into it, lately.
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

This is one of the links to the site, Ed mentioned above...

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited February 01, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by Grannynational:
AC Delco PF-52 the good old fashion blue one is as good as they get.

Joe

Try blowing into it and see if the drainback works like they used to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea, those PF-52 filters work real good, crushed one of them only yesterday - don't ask how.

Most of you probably won't like this but as an alternative, the System 1 filter is pretty neat. It is a reuseable filter with a very fine ss mesh which is bulletproof. Many of the people I know that autocross use these filters with total success. Personally, I'd highly recommend them. Now, back to my cave.....

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Before you go back to the cave and fight with Chuck for custody of the rock, do the system 1s have drainback and bypass valves in them?

·
Registered
683 Posts
This subject has been discussed many times. Some have tested the AC 47 and 52 filters. The latest ones the drain back valves leak back. The NAPA 1036 is another very good filter. (Gold Version) I have converted my engine to the large type Pure 1. It raised my oil pressure 4# across the board! The O Ring and drain back valve is Viton material. (Like the needle and seat material in an carb. kit) Don't know about the other ones mentioned here but the Pure1 is one of the better ones out today in my opinion! Just my experiences! Gene

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Publish your sources for the above information, please.
I was just relaying info I had read about a year ago in a certain publication( I believe it was Pop Mech.) Stating what I said..Wasn't trying start an oilfilter war...

------------------
87' Blu-t ----***STOLEN***
***RECOVERED***...On the comeback trail..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts