Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed my car and engine compartment on Friday. Drove around a little Friday night and went to drive yesterday and the car quit about a mile and half down the road. It started idling very rough and the rpm's would increase with throttle, but it wouldn't go anywhere. I pulled over to check a few things and now it won't start. The Oil/Choke light is on. The car is full on oil. I checked the connector at the base of the coil pack to see if water had gotten in there. I cleaned it and reconnected and reset the ECM. It still won't start. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
First thing I would do is to check a plug wire to ground to see if you get spark while cranking. Second would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to check the fuel pressure then report back to us. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My friend is coming over and he'll be bringing his fuel rail mont gauge and we are going to install his Scanmaster on my car to see if there are any error codes. Thanks for the info...

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
When Oil pressure is low, isn't the power to the fuel pump cut?

Maybe a faulty or wet oil pressure sensor??

Just guessing..

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If the fuel pump relay circuit dies power is applied to the pump via the oil pressure switch once over 4 psi. builds up. It's not a cutout but rather an emergency turn on feature. Gotta check the car for fuel pressure and listen for the pump running and of course check spark for further diagnosis.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel Pressure is 40-42psi. Pump makes noise, no spark. I'm going to try to check the Cam sensor and also open up the ignition system to see if moisture got between the base and the top. Thanks...

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
No spark, check the crank sensor and the coil pack module like you are doing. Dry the wires too. Doubt it's the ECM unless you got water in there somehow? Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had the chance to check to Crank or Cam sensors yet. I checked the IGN fuse and it was fine, if it's the little red 10 amp under "ECM IGN". I pulled the top of the coil pack off and there was water under it. Not a lot, but enough to cause a possible short. Does anyone know if this might have cause perm damage to the bottom or top of the coil pack? Still no spark. Thanks...

Justin

------------------
'87 GN, K&N, 3"maf and trans, breathers, Thrasher 92 chip
Walbro 340, 160 thermo, THDP on the way, hotwire kit
2000 Yamaha YZF R1

[This message has been edited by GN138 (edited January 09, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Yes it can cause damage to the coil pack, or the module. Do you have any spares? These are items everyone should have on the shelf along with a working spare MAF. Just my .02. If not maybe you can borrow a coil pack, from someone, for testing since they come off easily. More likely the module if there's water in there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have the spare parts. I just get off work when it's late and dark outside, so it puts a cramp in my work time on my car. My driveway is slanted pretty steep and there is no way I can push it into the garage, so it's out in the street. I'll have to swap everything out on Friday. Thanks Salvage and Orlando! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts