Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again. Thanks for yu alls response to my resent posting on the oil presure booster kit. Some of the responses was to go w/ the booster plate only. Is this the one that comes w/ the complete kit by Mellings. I have located the kit, but since reading your responses, I'm not sure if its a wise move. As I said in my last posting, I had one of these kits on my last GN for at least 30k miles, but I also know that you all probably know more than I do.
Looking for a way to make the decision.
Thanks,
Jack

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Use the plate with the standard gears rather than going with the taller high volume gears.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I always thought it was better to get more volume than pressure when it came to those booster plates. I figure, why choke up your pump when you can just get the taller gears? What's the biggest difference between a plate and the gears?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The gears put a lot more load on the front cam bearing causing premature wear in some cases.

And, then, all the normal reasons like more power to turn, strain on shaft, etc. :)

Cars are not short on volume if clearances are correct in pump. Plate gives a steel surface that does not wear like the aluminum cover and is also flat which gives a bit more pressure.

If cover is not worn, which is a big if, and end clearances are reasonable, then there is not as much benefit on going to the plate. With mileage, it can make an appreciable difference, especially when accompanied by a new set of gears and the time is taken to get the end clearance right using the appropriate thickness of gasket.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
I was told, that the high volume pumps with the taller gears are "guaranteed to leak"

Joe

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Grannynational ]</small>

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Never had a problem with the high volume setups leaking. If you are concerned you can tack the gaskets on with some high-tack spray. If you use T/A Performance's varied thickness plastic gaskets you for sure will need to do this as the potential exists with using these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts