Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please measure the oem head bolts for me so I can confirm that my ARPs are the correct length? I tossed my old tty bolts and I would like to be sure that my ARPs are not bottoming out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
just do as suggested...take the washers off and see if the bolts will screw down flush against the heads...or leave the gasket off, set the heads down, and see if the bolts will go all the way without bottoming...

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The problem is/was some Champion iron/aluminum heads were taller then oem 8445 heads. Put a bolt and washer in the head and measure how much is left to screw into the block. Place an old headgasket on too. ( do this with head off) I would not trust a measurement from another bolt or engine. :sw:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ULYCYC said:
The problem is/was some Champion iron/aluminum heads were taller then oem 8445 heads. Put a bolt and washer in the head and measure how much is left to screw into the block. Place an old headgasket on too. ( do this with head off) I would not trust a measurement from another bolt or engine. :sw:
If I am understanding correctly, you are saying that the bolts might come up short (if the heads are taller). I thought they were potentially too long. :dunno:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Chris, they could be to long. Do like Steve said to check the bolts. You can mark them with some teflon tape as well to see if they go down far enough.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
ULYCYC said:

Let's stick to iron heads as that is what he has.

Now, explain how a champion iron head can be taller than the oem 8445. I would have thought that Champion used an oem casting and simply ported them? :)

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Steve Wood said:

Now, explain how a champion iron head can be taller than the oem 8445. I would have thought that Champion used an oem casting and simply ported them? :)
Champion had to put together longer bolt sets for there heads. I also seen one with standard ARP bolts only grabbing on 3 threads into the block. Maybe they wanted to give you extra meat for milling. I Believe if you call ARP and tell them you have Champion head now they will give you the updated bolts sets.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Chris what is so hard about running the bolt in without the washer and if the bolt goes all the way down to the head like has been suggested, than you have the room needed for the bolts to do their job. :usa:

Or measure/count the threads that stickout thru the botton of the head as suggested and than take the bolt and see if it will screw into the block a little further (don't forget to use the headgasket too when measureing) below the surface of the block (because the block bolt holes are countered bored). :usa:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Steve Wood said:

:usa: :cheers:

·
Registered
835 Posts
ULYCYC, how are champion iron heads any diffferent spec wise than an 8445? I've always been under the impression that the champions start out as 8445s? Wouldn't this be a huge hassle if true and require new pushrods etc... as well? Just curious. Chris i know u are wanting to check everything and all, but if the map sensor line blew off running 22 psi and the timing from an alky chip that is why the gaskets blew. No alky is being sent once that line stops blows and the map senses no more boost. Good luck with it and get some small hose clamps on the most important hoses next time and zip ties on the rest. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Steve Wood said:

Bull's eye, Steve! If you look at the Champion web site, there are pictures, as well as a description, and you can see "8445" on one of the heads in the pictures. They are milled, so the stock bolts COULD be a tad too long for those heads, but I wouldn't think so. In the case of Chris's engine, we may not know for sure what happened, but until we see the results of pulling the heads and inspecting the surfaces and the fit-up, we are just making wild guesses.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hissin' Buford said:
I know you don't care for studs Chris, but they would certainly eliminate any guesswork in this area. :)
AMEN BROTHER :usa: :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts