Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the symptoms:

Headlights on, LH turn signal dash light is on constantly but no turn signal. RH works, but sometimes way faster than normal.

Headlights off, LH turn signal works intermittently, but REAL slow - one flash every 20 seconds or so. RH works same as above.

It seems as though the bulbs are all working OK, so is it the flasher that's kaput? If so, where is it located and where can I pick up a new one?

Please bear with my ignorance; we've had rain for the last 28 days and my brain is waterlogged. Thanks in advance,

------------------
Rhett Lee
Had to leave Hawaii for Oregon, but now I have a Turbo Regal!
white/blue '86 T, 170+k mostly stock daily driver
If only I could get it to run right...

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi Rhett,

For me my 87T daily driver the turn signals were not working
all the time. Replaced the flasher under the dash.
Not attached to steering wheel but tucked far up closer to
wheel itself. Looks like old stlye ones round top cylinder
shaped body, silver in color. about $2 from autozone.
Then my one turn signal was doing the same as yours - worked
fine with headlites off and always on inside when on but running
lite was off It was just the bulb.

bye, Ed
http://edchapman.tripod.com/cars.html
84 T-Type WH1, 87 T, 87 GN
[email protected]

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
You said you had alot of rain. Check all your bulbs,sockets and housings for water buildup. Also grounds and if all ok the turn signal switch is the problem most of the time.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I hate turn signal problems...

1. Be sure the correct bulb type is in each socket. These things tend to work on current draw and the flasher will tend not to work with the wrong bulbs...be sure no idiot put a single element bulb in a dual element socket.

2. Grounding problems drive them crazy. Check the sockets for corrosion, moisture, etc and also the ground leads for clean contact.

3. The flasher is clipped on the column on the passenger side of the column way up high near the back of the dash. Put the right signal on so it is clicking, reach up there with your hand until you grab soming that is clicking and pull it off. Any parts store will have them with the bulbs and stuff.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I'm having nightmares of this turning out like the taillights on my wife's Camry. You've probably followed one like it...the lights do a little "dance" when you hit the brakes because they're not all on or off at the correct times. I hope it's something simple like a bulb or flasher.

Or else I'll have to (gasp) learn something and do some actual maintenance on the car. In all seriousness, electrical stuff like this bums me out because I can never seem to pinpoint it, even with good direction as given above. It's like a black thumb kind of thing...

Zap - ignore you? We never ignore you on this board. Feel the love, baby!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mean-ass. Where's yer holiday spirit?

First, Zap's posting style becomes a bit unusual, and then Steve's stealing some of Zap's tricks...something's going on, and I'm not sure I wanna know what!!!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Why would you ask ZaP a tech question! If he gives you an answer" He dont even know if its right! Take it from him" Ignore his post.

ULYCTC " Is most likley correct" Bad ground or water in socket = short. I would say most likley a ground or bulb" Ck all your grounds at the lights.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
He requested help on an Oddball problem so he went straight to the Oddballs for help.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
You drank it last night, I suspect
No, that was your girlfriend the sheep. You know, the one you tell everyone is a seat cover. You just don't say which seat. But even she says that your...spirit...was less than satisfying.

Back to the topic, it WAS just a bad bulb, and as a bonus, I found out that the lens housing is cracked. It was full of water. The bulb had deteriorated so badly that it collapsed in my fingers when I tried to remove it. !!! I kept looking at it, thinking, how did that not shred my finger? I did give myself a good slice trying to clean up the mess, so laugh at that, Steve, you meanie.

As always, thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's true, watching me work on a car is quite amusing, but it also doesn't take much to be funnier than most SNL reruns. Anyone remember the Anthony Michael Hall/Robert Downey years? Yuck.

Anyone with bare fingers deserves a good slice!

Mean-ass.

BTW, I'm not a duma$$ - I'm a fool. Get it right.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I'm sorry I forgot to tell you to wear gloves. I was only thinking about the car

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts