Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A CAS V-4 (just using this one as an example..) is worth approximately 3 tenths and 3 MPH over a stock I/C...

I am going to have a 2.5" neck put on my [extra] stock I/C..... as well, I have a cold box here that I am going to use on it [pressure test first
] for the track outings.

My question is: with the 2.5" neck and the cold box filled with ice water, how would the stock intercooler compare to the V-4? Not talking about street driving.. just track only. Does the V-4 still kick its butt or would they be pretty close in this situation?

Thanks!

------------------
1987 Limited Turbo T,
12.28 @ 106 MPH w/a 1.62 60'
My 1987 Regal Limited Turbo T page..

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup... I had one awhile back but sold it and a TA 49 to help cover some rebuild costs. Was a very nice I/C..

I more or less just wondered how this setup would compare with a V-4 as I have all this stuff for the stock I/C here, and I am short on cash so another V-4 won't be in the picture fer some time

------------------
1987 Limited Turbo T,
12.28 @ 106 MPH w/a 1.62 60'
My 1987 Regal Limited Turbo T page..

·
Registered
72 Posts
The stock modified I/C will only give you about half of the benefit's that a V4 would at the track .The benefits of the V4 would really shine thru on the street over the boxed I/C.

------------------
86 G/N

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
ahhhh the cold boxes do work
its just a PITA to keep it iced...OLD tech 1986..Ill bet it would be close

------------------

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
how would the stock intercooler compare to the V-4
I believe there is more to the intercooler that just getting them as cold as possible.

Here is a cut and paste from Tony Dequick. I was asking how the V4 compares to a stocker.

At 45 lbs/min, the OE intercooler is ~42% effective and the V-4 is in the 79% - 82% range. Dynamic pressure drop on a stock intercooler at that level (45 lb/min) is about 7.5 psi and about .8 psi on the V-4.
I think the above facts have nothing to do with how cold you can get the stock I/C. It's all about the pressure drop and how much it can flow, efficiently.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts