Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
textual predator
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the key in and turn it half way and the dash lights come on, scanmaster lights up, fuel pump primes, etc. Got power to the fuse box. I go to turn it to start the car and I get nothing. If I hold it there, a little smoke comes from somewhere under the dash. Didn't see anything loose under the dash. Maybe a dead starter? Where's a good place to start in finding where exactly the problem lies? Any advice would be appreciated, as usual. :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
first thing I would do is find out if there is really smoke coming from under the dash and from where.

Then I would check the ignition wire at the solenoid and see it has voltage on it when the key is turned to run.

And, of course, I would check the battery to see if it has 12 volts on it when the key is turned to start, or it drops way down.

·
textual predator
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to dig up an oldish thread but this is happening to me again. Everything works but the ignition.

Last time it happened a few wires coming off the starter fried, but the starter was still good. Replaced it with a mini-starter I had anyway. Also installed Casper's fusible links relocation kit and haven't had the problem until yesterday.

The interior lights (plus gauges, scantool, etc.) all dim or turn off when I turn the key. It had been raining here continuously for a couple of days so maybe a rain water-induced short? :dunno: What should I do?

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
have you checked to see if you have anywater leaks down by the ECM or otherside (fuse block) after a while the sealer that is used under the drip rail does crack and water can come in...

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Lucien said:
The interior lights (plus gauges, scantool, etc.) all dim or turn off when I turn the key.
That says dead battery, but if you have smoke coming from under the dash then you have some serious electrical problems with your car.

If there was smoke than the problem will be eaisy to find. Drop the hush panels from under the dash and look for the burnt wires, also check all your grounds and make sure they are all good.

Your starter has a good ground? No paint on the engine block where it bolts on?

May want to check the ignition switch, that about half way down the steering colum and is actuated with a rod from the key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts