Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought it was from bad gas when it started but it wasnt. under normal light driving conditions, she is fine, pulls hard. under load, she lags, bogs, and eventually pings. i checked injectors, cam sensor, crank sensor, all vacuum hoses, coil pack, module, fuel pump and filter. im not losing fuel pressure under load. set at 42lbs. i do have a crack in my drivers side exhaust manifold, could that be reaking so much havoc? any ideas would be appreciated, im all out of them. does anyone have a header of stock manifold? will send cash, please help.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Cat stopped up. Coil & modual' have you tried a known good set? Check for carbon buildup on the post on the coil' if theres some you can just about bet its breaking down' I had same symtomes (sp.steve) & it was the coil.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Sounds like overboost or ignition breakdown.
check plugs,wires,coil and module. Make sure boost is set for your chip and octane 14-16 with 93-94 octane. I will look at it when we all meet up on the 19th. By the way welcome to the board.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we tried a new modual, and tested the coil. all pods were capable.im only running 14 lbs of boost. i have a high flow cat, how do i try to free any clogs? we are on our third set of plugs in 2 weeks, and i have new jacobs ceramic wires. what else could cause an ignition breakdown, i think we checked everything. nothing worse than having a race car you cant drive. thanx guys, keep the ideas coming

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
You tried your spare MAF right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my spare what? what is an maf? everytime i think i know something about buicks, someone mentions something new. i should have bought a yugo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh duh, nevermind the maf ques. i just had a brain fart thats all. and to answer your question, the maf is the only thing i didnt try.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
What chip?

Time to add a profile to your signature with what has been done to your car.

Helps greatly when diagnosing from afar.

------------------
WE4, 140K, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP hollow cat., Postons Headers, 2 1/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, 16 pos. Maxeffort thumbwheel 20*, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,Blizzak snows, Nittos, 307, adj.reg./ SMC alky, 9 gauges,scamaster and D.Scan,BSTC, translator and 31/2"MAF, V4 inter. 356RWHP 529ft.lb. Torque

GN loaded, car #2. 112K miles. Accufab reg. 160stat.,Scanmaster, Reds 93 chip, Bilsteins, Moog springs, HR Parts mount and rear arms, Nittos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, ill get workin on my profile.
my chip is a thrasher 009, pins the maf at 255 for max fuel.

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Thrasher chips call for 45psi line off on the FP. also, the cracked header WILl cause erratic O2 sensor performance, thus the fueling is screwed up.
get the headers right, the Fp to where it's supposed to be and lets go from there.

------------------
Chuck Leeper
CODY MOTORSPORTS
770-995-1106
86 GN
Some mods.
More to come :eek:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill boost the fp to 45 for now. the crack will be gone this week. ill let you know what happens then. im replacing the coil pack and modual tomorrow. cant hurt right? thanx again. oh, ts 44 or 43 plugs?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
R43ts,gapped at .032"-.035".I've seen a car do roughly what yours did with the gaps on the plugs set at .045".Be sure to check the vacuum line to your fuel pressure regulator.No cracks,on tight,etc.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Originally posted by jeremy slade:
sorry, ill get workin on my profile.
my chip is a thrasher 009, pins the maf at 255 for max fuel.
What is a Thrasher 009?? Before you go out and spend money trying to fix it. Maybe it's something in your combo. List your combo

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i do have 42 1/2 lb injectors. i just switched the chip to the thrasher. i had reds chip in. we switched cause my mass air was dipping below 255 late in my runs. the new chip pins it at 255. here is the update. today i put in a new coil and modual. crank and cam sensor still good. injectors clean and firing.new plugs and wires. ac delco ts 44 gapped at .35. fuel pressure is solid, 45 lbs. cat is not high flow cat is clean. i ordered new maf, will be in tomorrow. i tapped the one i have while idoling as instructed, but the idle is not dipping. i was told it would if sensor was bad. i ordered one anyway.so, let me ask you this. i checked up on the crack in my exhaust manifold. it has become much worse, it is a big hole now. so again, is it at all possible that this is the cause of the hell i am in? i am searching for a new manifold (drivers side). or header if i find a good deal. my turbo link data is good, all the numbers are there... except for major knock counts. ill list the mods to my car. thanx again guys. jeremy. PS ill pay for shipping if anyone has the exhaust part i need.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the chip was burned for my car, for my set up with the those injectors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just filled out my profile with signiture including my cars set up, why cant i see it? can you guys see it?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i gothca, thanx ed. did you get my email regarding the chip? it came highly recomended from erik quick who worked it out with...i think his name is scott simpson.

------------------
87 t type... motor ported, polished, nitrated and girdled. isky racing cam264-114 lobe, j e moly pistons and rings, crank stock ground10/10 nitrated, heads ported and polished 178/150 valves. t.h.3"downpipe, high flow cat(gonna remove) stage 3 cheeta turbo from turbonetics, 42 1/2 lb injectors, thrasher 009 chip, usual bolt ons..160 stat, volt booster, 3000 stall art carr converter in rebuilt tranny with kit. xp racing fuel pump with hot wire, jacobs ceramic plug wires...let me know if i forgot something or something doesnt make sense. im still learning. top and bottom of moter rebuilt in CA. nothing in motor is stock.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts