Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an update; I guess it's still a good idea to check aftermarket front covers closely. I couldn't get my new motor to prime, and after pulling the front cover, found that the opening from the pocket above the gears to the oil feed passage that mates up to the block was not drilled all the way through. From the top it's not very evident; I had to stick a piece of wire through (thanks Bob Hinson!) to tell for sure.

At least I'm relieved to know that after untold time spinning a prime tool and cussing, I'm not crazy.

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by Kendall Frederick:
At least I'm relieved to know that after untold time spinning a prime tool and cussing, I'm not crazy.

Now let's not get euphoric and start making rash statements!

Now you gotta excuse to port the thing properly like you wanted to but didn't have time!

Looks like by now the manufacturer would have snapped to checking the casting, huh?

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nah!!! Why check things...that's for the consumer to deal with.

It's rumored that it's the same company that makes exploding guns...the ones with blocked barrels.

They pioneered the turbo with paper mache bearings! OK...I'm leaving!

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Originally posted by Kendall Frederick:
Just an update; I guess it's still a good idea to check aftermarket front covers closely. I couldn't get my new motor to prime, and after pulling the front cover, found that the opening from the pocket above the gears to the oil feed passage that mates up to the block was not drilled all the way through. From the top it's not very evident; I had to stick a piece of wire through (thanks Bob Hinson!) to tell for sure.

Good to know that it is still an issue. Hopefully others will remember next time they do their own motors. Good job Kendall. I thought that was your problem

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went up at lunch and got another cover. While I was convincing the parts guy that his cover was the problem, we ended up checking the rest of his stock; he had 2 more that were not drilled correctly.

The ones I'd heard about previously did not have the pressure feed to the block drilled properly; on these covers that passage is OK. However, the passage that feeds the pump (deep up in the crevice above the gears, intersects the hole that is the 2nd up on the cover face) was not there.

So if you buy a Pioneer front cover, check the passages carefully!

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

1 - 5 of 5 Posts