Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the Thrasher site:

· Open loop operation - disconnect and remove the O2 sensor at any time! For those of you running leaded race gas and don't want to "poison" an expensive O2 sensor, you can simply disconnect and remove the O2 sensor altogether! No codes will set, and you'll never notice it missing!

I read the rest of the info. about this "feature" but I'm skeptical. Is this safe to do? I've never heard of anyone doing this so I just thought I'd ask.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The Thrasher doesn't use the O2's for any fueling calculations. You can take it out and plug the hole, or leave it in just to visually read O2 numbers for WOT purposes. The Thrasher chip is calibrated around a stockish setup running 45psi of fuel pressure. Very strict b/c it operated in Open loop and doesn't rely on the O2. This will make the car idle and perform like you wouldn't believe. My favortie chip for a near stock setup thumb_up thumb_up thumb_up

<small>[ August 15, 2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hows the mileage with one of these chips?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Mike, the Thrasher does use the o2 off idle, but, as the web site states, you can remove the o2 and it will run on the learned settings as I recall.

It is open loop at idle all the time.

Gas mileage is supposed to be one of its features. Some have reported worse but most seem to get the same or better.

The o2 does not automatically ensure better gas mileage as many of us MaxEffort users can attest. We often get better mileage strictly open loop.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to try a mix of 11 gal. of 94 and 7 gal. of 110 (Cam2-leaded) hopefully making 100 octane and I thought instead of ruining O2's or buying a Denso or maybe a heated O2, I would just remove my Delco and plug the hole. I want to run 20 psi on the street to see what kind of difference it will make. Does this still sound do-able (safe)?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Just watch for timing retard on your scan tool.

The chip works as stated. When it sees no o2 present, instead of throwing an error code, it just uses the current learned blm contents.

You may have to play with the fuel pressure settings, but, I doubt it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts