Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well okay, there's a tiny bit of oil near the starter bolts (?), but the big leak from the front cover is fixed. I installed the correct gasket. :D Now my engine is so quiet that I can hear a new sound that may be the cause of my kr, which I stll have.
When I'm in the car idling, I can hear a ballsy rumble from the converter area, and when I put the window down, it is a distinctive tapping sound. I'm 95% sure it is coming from the converter area and not the engine. The converter bolts are tight and I don't see any cracks. :dunno: It's a pretty loud tapping. Comments and ideas welcome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,735 Posts
That is the second converter that has been on it, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve Wood said:
That is the second converter that has been on it, right?
Yes. Good memory. :) And I see your point.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,735 Posts
so set the boost to about 23-24#, set the alky like Razor told to as a starting point...and go make wot run from 45 to 75...recording it on ds...and let's see what you really have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve Wood said:
so set the boost to about 23-24#, set the alky like Razor told to as a starting point...and go make wot run from 45 to 75...recording it on ds...and let's see what you really have.
I'll do it tomorrow. I'm really afraid to do it though. When the Casper lights up, I just instinctively lift. After all I've been through, I am scared to death I will hurt this engine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,735 Posts
to date, I have never seen anything that remotely resembled true detonation...

don't really expect to now :dunno:
 

·
Resident Slut
Joined
·
5,477 Posts
No guts no boost...I've pushed passed 24kb knock and survived...ok I've blown 3 HG's in 6-7 years. Wife did one :yup: I've always been lucky an had it blow into the Rad/water jackets :headbang: It's time to push it or you'll never know. :sw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Chris I believe you have been cused with exceptional hearing.

I have fortunately not been cursed in this manner, I don't have to worry about hearing odd ticks, taps, knocks, clunks, squeaks, birds singing, crickets chirpping, or female voices. Ignorance is bliss :headbang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
plumber said:
Chris I believe you have been cused with exceptional hearing.

I have fortunately not been cursed in this manner, I don't have to worry about hearing odd ticks, taps, knocks, clunks, squeaks, birds singing, crickets chirpping, or female voices. Ignorance is bliss :headbang:
I guess I should try turning the radio up louder. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
If it were my car; I would do an 18/20 lbs. of boost "tops" for the first run just to see if everything is ookeydookey (alky inj., etc. working correctly) before doing the 23/24.
That should haul a$$ at 24. :D
PS: I would let it run a little ways in 3 rd. at wot; but be safe and don't get a ticket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
congrats brother

That is a feat in itself. Hell my car leaks so bad that the EPA follows me around with citation for pollution. That is if I ever get to drive it because the transmission falls out of it all the time even when I have the boost set at .05 psi & the car is making 34 inch lbs of torque & 2 mousepower :rant:

In my 00 ss camaro my vigilante converter did that. Especially after driving it enough to warm up the fluid in the verter. Maybe its the material or components used in the converter making the noise. Good luck finding it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
I'll do it tomorrow. I'm really afraid to do it though. When the Casper lights up, I just instinctively lift. After all I've been through, I am scared to death I will hurt this engine.
You could put it on jackstands, get under it w/engine running. Try to find the noise.

Scared? What are you afraid of? You, your posts, your gn bear small resemblance to the ghost of ChrisGarrett past. I think you should-

1) apply boost to YOUR comfort level.

2) turn the wick up.

Or, how about a gn as a lawn ornament? The papers are full of sentra's. High performance cars do break.

Compromise/moderation are poor refuge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Not to hijack but.... I have a tap/rattle coming from my converter area once the car gets good and warm. It does not do it cold and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if it is the torque converter or the cat converter. When ever I've had the car on stands I wouldn't rattle and listening from the side all I can tell is it's coming from that general area towards the passenger side. It sounds kind of hollow (think coins in a dryer) and it doesn't change when shifting from park to another gear but will slightly increase with revs so I am leaning towards the cat converter being the source. I can't find any loose bolts or brackets and the dp has plenty of clearance from the firewall. Anyone ever heard of the media in a cat converter becoming loose and rattling? I'm planning on replacing the converter with a test pipe as soon as I get the time to see if it goes away but it is sure annoying in the mean time. Chris since you have changed torque converters and yours still rattles could you have the same problem? The only thing is that mine doesn't register as knock on my scan tool. I don't have a knock gague though so who knows if it would pick it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
corsair231 said:
Anyone ever heard of the media in a cat converter becoming loose and rattling? .
Yes and yes.

Do you own a Corsair?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
I wish I did. I do own a Mustang though (the four wheeled kind, not the winged one). The F4U Corsair was my favorite plane when I was a kid. Something about the inverted gull wings just made them look tough. I loved all of the WWII planes with the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang close seconds. I couldn't get enough of Baa Baa Black Sheep either. I've never seen one in real life but I built enough models when I was a kid that I could probably put one together with my eyes closed. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
I guess I should try turning the radio up louder.
It's always been that way with me. When the radio doesn't work, I hear all kinds of things that sound like they can be bad and expensive. But when I wash the car, and turn on the radio, it sounds better, runs better, and rides better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
iownaGN-GS said:
Chris, check out my post 7-1-06 TH Cat Converter.
Thanks, but I don't have a catalytic converter. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,735 Posts
william brophy said:
If it were my car; I would do an 18/20 lbs. of boost "tops" for the first run just to see if everything is ookeydookey (alky inj., etc. working correctly) before doing the 23/24.
That should haul a$$ at 24. :D
PS: I would let it run a little ways in 3 rd. at wot; but be safe and don't get a ticket.



Problem is that he has an alky chip that pulls gas in anticipation of the alky coming on. As he does not have experience with alky tuning other than what Razor told him, if he runs reduced boost with the alky on, then he may have rich knock. If he turns the alky off and reduces the boost, then he may have lean knock due to the gas pulled.

He is in a quandary.
 

·
Older than dirt
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
Or..

Steve Wood said:
Problem is that he has an alky chip that pulls gas in anticipation of the alky coming on. As he does not have experience with alky tuning other than what Razor told him, if he runs reduced boost with the alky on, then he may have rich knock. If he turns the alky off and reduces the boost, then he may have lean knock due to the gas pulled.

He is in a quandary.
Maybe ol SW has something, here...

Could it be:
Some of the steel blast shot that was found in the engine, has migrated to the torque converter.... :dunno: :confused:

Like others have said: Take it out, turn up the boost, and see WTF the scanner says.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top