Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fast with class Datsun?
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to ceramic coat my headers and cross over pipe. There are no cracks anywhere on these. Would it be a good idea to lay a couple welds where they are prone to cracking before the ceramic coat?

!M!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
First be sure that you use the ultra hot coating as the normal stuff will not take the exhaust temps that we generate in many cases.

Then it becomes a question of how much do you wish to spend.

You can put a gusset between three and five to bridge the gap above the weld. You can weld around each tube at the flange and then port the inside for a better match to the head.

I am not sure that siimply welding over the existing weld is a good idea....maybe a real welder can answer that one. :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Fast with class Datsun?
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gusset sounds like a good idea instead of welding ontop of the existing welds. For the ceramic coating, I'm going to use Cermakrome Coating from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty (part # 13-01023)

What's the best way to get the profile of the exaust port onto the header, so I can port and match it? Just use a gasket?

!M!

<small>[ November 01, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Mat73GNZ ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
You'll notice your 02 counts will go way up too. That's about the only thing I noticed when I put my ceramics on. Oh yeah, and they look purdy too.

Earl

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The Cermachrome will turn a flat grey color the first time you go WOT. It's only rated at 1200º. It will not come off the header, but it will not stay the nice chrome looking color. Here is a before and after:

Before

After

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The MCS coating at Techline is new. That wasn't available when I had these headers coated. The description says it will raise the tolerate temp of any techline coating, but how much?

Here is the link for the MCS. Ask your coating shop if they can apply the two coatings instead of the just one like I have.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/BulkExhaust.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts