Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until today !!!!

Thanks for the help over the phone Dr. Paul and Gary.... the ball got put in motion out at the BPG event(used condenser $20) and it took until today to get it working. All the details from start to finish are over here. 84 GN no A/C since.... 87?
Which I must say, it's nice over there with Steve Wood keeping everyone in line. I find myself over there more and more...
Anyway, it feels great to have a/c again !!

Chuck

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
The best part is you learned & did it yourself!! Easy to hand over the $$$ to have it done by a shop, but when you do it (with the help of others) you feel proud about the work!! :cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have to look into the R134 retrofit soon myself... my local shop is all out of R12.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
When you charged it up did it seem like it didnt want to take the refrigerant or did it suck it right in? If it seemed slow, you may still need more, and it may help to put a box fan in front of the car to help cool the condensor.

When Ive done them what usually happens is as you add in a couple cans it goes from nothing to a little cool...then as you near capacity it significantly changes, but you have to do it slow. I use a habor freight indoor/outdoor thermometer with the wired sensor, and stick the sensor in the center vent. Add refrig some, shut the valve, and watch the temp go down. When it stops going down, add more rinse n repeat. I would think you can get it to the mid to low 40s but im not sure. I know when I first charged mine it was pretty nice but it died on the way back from Ohio...prob needs more refrig.

Also...check the cans you used...hopefully they were straight up refrigerant and not refrig/oil like most are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts