Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some break-in or heat cycle process you should use with brand new Nitto DRs to get the optimum grip out of them?

I ran the car last night with a brand new set of 275/45-17s and was a little disappointed. Car ran strong so I know the power was there but the 60' was off by about .2 of what I normally do. I only got 2 passes in so I ought to be patient but if there is some process, I want to follow it.

TIA,

------------------

Scottie's GNZ
71 240Z/GN Power/Corvette IRS

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First time with the 17s. I used to run 275/50-15 when I had the Datsun IRS. I went to 255/50-16 BFGs on Z-28 wheels when I went to the Vette IRS because the 15" Welds did not fit over the Vette brakes. The BFGs are scary on the street and the widest 16" Nitto is 245, so I went to the 17s to get a 275.

Guess I need to nail down a launch technique/pressure/boost, etc, before I draw any conclusions. I know about the shorter sidewall and hope the light weight of the car will help negate some of that negative.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
That will certainly help.

I seen some that say a mild burnout is all that is required and others that say you have to really heat them up. I have seen just as wide a range on the BFGs so I am not sure there is real agreement.

I have only run mine on the street...and find that a short, dry burnout helps...I would think spinning them in the damp area just in front of the box until they just started to smoke would be the best way but I guess experimentation is called for.

I doubt that small variations in air pressure will have much effect. Maybe just set them at 16# and see what happens?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
81 Posts
Scottie, we used 30 psi in my friend's T/A with 245/50-16 Nitto DR's. Lowering down to 15 and almost every 2 psi in between did not improve on his best 60' with 30 psi. I believe you need a little more pressure, because the short sidewall isn't going to wrinkle anyhow. When running regular 245/50-16 tires we would run 50 psi.

You probably should have kept the 16" wheels and ran Mickey Thompson ET Streets, but what do I know? That's the popular combo for the Corvettes and Vipers who need the clearance on their big brakes.

Just my .000001 cents, Christian

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not ready to say I made a mistake yet. What it comes down to is the gain of the contact patch of 275 on a 8.5" wheels over a 245 on a 8" wheel VS the loss of a stiffer sidewall. The sidewall height of the 245/50 & 275/45 are identical.

When I ran the 15s & 16s, here is what worked for me. 16-17psi, get the tires damp, 3-sec burnout w/line-loc and drive out of it, 5psi boost on t-brake and floor it just as I release the t-brake. That netted me consistent low-1.60s with a 1.55 from both the Nitto & BFG when they prep properly. The same technique with 7psi and ET Drags netted me a 1.57. Just need to find a different tchnique with these new tires.

BTW, car is steady as a rock on DRs and all over the track at 120+ with slicks. That is worth a little sacrifice

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited May 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Scottie,
I found that the BFG's have a softer compound than the Nitto's. I've spoken to many reps. about how the burnout should be done with these tires. The consensus is that ony a short burnout is needed. If you want your tires to last I suggest staying out of the water when doing the burnout. You will notice that the BFG's hook even better when almost down to the threads. Anyways, good luck. I'll be back in FL in august.

John

------------------
[email protected] 1.71 60'
Central FL GN and T-Type club.
Embry-Riddle Muscle Car
assoc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
P.S. The first couple of burnouts with the Nitto's should be pretty hard. After that you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,

I have used both and the BFGs definitely hook harder and I even got a 1.60 with the cord showing (did not realize it).

It rains everyday in the summer in FL and the BFGs are too risky and have too short a tread life.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Turboless
52 Posts
Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:
Is there some break-in or heat cycle process you should use with brand new Nitto DRs to get the optimum grip out of them?

I ran the car last night with a brand new set of 275/45-17s and was a little disappointed. Car ran strong so I know the power was there but the 60' was off by about .2 of what I normally do. I only got 2 passes in so I ought to be patient but if there is some process, I want to follow it.

TIA,

I've found that the first time out on Nitto's is a bit disappointing. On the next trip, you should see some improvement. I've always done about a 5 second burnout, at least until I see smoke in my passengers mirrors. No dry hops, just roll to the line.

As for pressure, I used to run 17-18psi in the 275/40/17 I had on my 96 WS6. This could get me consistent 1.7x launches with my 6spd and 4.10 gears. FWIW, I run 22psi in the 245/50/16 I have on the TTA. That netted me quite a few 1.6x on the stock D5/turbo and 3.27 gears.

------------------
Rob
89 TTA #1387

·
Registered
123 Posts
Scottie,
I found that the Nitto's are better in the rain. Even though you have a short trip home, its not worth it. Goodluck!

John

------------------
[email protected] 1.71 60'
Central FL GN and T-Type club.
Embry-Riddle Muscle Car
assoc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts