Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dan and I am 22 years old.
I am currently in the market for a different car. I have only driven V8's in the past except for my sisters turbo volvo. I am intrigued by the B turbo sixes. What should I look for if I decide to get one? Since they are turbo cars they should be very streetable even if modified right? ? I am looking for a 86-87 GN
Any other information for a Newbie?
Thanks in Advance.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Dan, do you work on cars now? Do you even like to work on cars?

Not talking about detailing and washing and waxing either.

These cars are 14-15 years old and require maintenance that if done at a specialty shop for T.R.'s can be quite costly.

Just remember that when you are budgeting.

Also what are your goals with the car, show and weekend cruising, race track pavement ripper, daily driver.

All these things will impact your ultimate costs and abilities to meet your goals.

After all those words what I'm saying is how much cash you got?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salvage

I have owned and restored
a 1969 Mustang Mach1
a 1969 Chevelle Malibu
and owneda 1993 Mustang 5.0

So yes I know how to work on cars.
Money is not that big a problem.
have about 12K to start right now and i can spend about 300 a month.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Take your time and look at as many as you can. When I was looking for my GN, I came across a couple of very poor examples of GN. With 12K, you should be able to find one in near perfect condition(you do not want to restore one of these cars). Being in Southern CA, I am guessing that you are looking in the Recycler for the car. That's where I found mine. Hope this helps

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i dont know if your intrested but i'll sell my car for 12k. ready to go.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by firebird_1252:
i dont know if your intrested but i'll sell my car for 12k. ready to go.
You won't get 12k for it unless the heater is fixed.

------------------
MJ

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Musclecrrcr you sound ready to go to me.

For 12K or so you might want to look for a Kirban car with lower mileage ready to go.

I'd get a higher option car for that price range myself. Unless you are looking for a lighter weight car for some reason.

Good luck.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
if your being serious i'll consider.

------------------
Rob
87 GN fully loaded with 85k :(
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction
3" DP
T-Link comming soon hopefuly
shooting for low 13's high 12's

i'm smarter then zap!! :)
better looking the zap
and have a better sence of humor then swood.
but, damn i'm good!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Kirban is a guy who sells a lot of GM original parts and some aftermarket stuff. Not the cheapest but quick delivery and very good service.

He also goes around the Eastern part of the country buying, fixing up a bit and reselling low mileage GN's and TR's.

Here's a link to his site. Usually only has one or two cars for sale these days and they go fast. Do your research on them so you know what you want in terms of styles colors options, unless all you want is a GN in black.

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Guys especially you Salvage

Firebird. I would have to know more about your car

Even stuff like your heater.

I would prefer a low mile car.
I notice there are a lot of Low mileage GN's
Is there a reason? Most owners just dont abuse them i guess?
I have a 93Ford it has 66K on it which is very few miles for the year but i see lots of GN's with 30-60K miles and they are 6 years older.

·
Registered
743 Posts
GNs are classics. Most owners know that low miles=high value. Make sure you do a carfax report because those odometers turn over at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I agree with Shaun here. Get a verified low mileage car. If you want one already modded you should be able to do that in your price range ready to run 11's and be streetable.

Look for rust, just like with Mustangs. Look at anything G body on the net since most of the car is the same as the Monte's.

Hope you know about electronics, sensors, and fuel injection. Not too hard to learn actually if you can listen to good advice.
Hard part is finding it...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by Musclecrrcr:
..........Money is not that big a problem.
have about 12K to start right now and i can spend about 300 a month.[/B]
If you are interested, I know of an '87 GN, original-owner Phoenix car, until my friend bought it few months ago. It has a fresh engine/trans that I did, and needs nothing.
He is selling it to finance his race car.

Ran it at a local track to check out how well it runs, 11.8 at 20-22 psi.

------------------
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
[email protected]

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
I'll sell my GN for 20 grand!? come on I know someone wants it...no takers? hehe fine I guess I just have to keep this thing then

btw I am only joking...my car is worth at best 10k

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/d0n_3d/

1987 Buick Grand National (owner since 1997) - 80,000 miles, everyday driver (rain, sleet, hail, snow, its seen it all) engine never opened up, basic bolt on upgrades include:

Cold-air induction w/ 9" K&N air filter behind headlights, Accufab adj. fuel regulator (set at 45 psi), Walbro GSS 307 fuel pump w/ Casper's hotwire upgrade kit, adj. wastegate actuator (set at 17 lbs), 160 degree thermostat, tb coolant lines blocked, 3" Poston's DP w/ 2.5" Hooker exhaust & AeroChamber mufflers, 3" hi-flow CAT, basic chrome engine dressup items, stock rims on BF Goodrich P255/60/R15 all-weather rear tires, newer paint, 30lb VDO boost gauge and 100psi fuel gauge

first track times ever this spring:)

Note to all Ford/Import owners: BUICK OWNZ J00;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts