Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my first GN and of course it has a Chevy 350 but these cars are getting harder to find,With that said I have in the 80's and 90's ran the Shelbys with the 2.2 and the 2.5 turbos you have to love the turbo equiped cars.My plans are to restore the engine to the 3.8 Turbo setup.Think I got a good deal on the car as it sits with the Chevy motor it runs great but I miss the Turbo presence.I am 61 years old and have been into cars since I was 5 years old,handing my Dad his wrenches.In the 70's I becake a Master GM Tech and also a Chrysler Gold Tech.These newer cars sort of baffle me.Went back to the university and have been on the side just waiting for the right moment in time / retirement helps me to have a project like this.Greetings to all and from what I have read you have a great site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sharing your joy...big learning curve.

Greetings. I am in Newport News Va, and have owned my first 87GN since 2010. traded a 2004 Commemorative I had just paid off after 6 years of owning since new (only 4k miles in 6 years)..my neighbor bought the 87 GN he had waited for over 6 years to acquire, and realized it was way over his head.
Traded the vet to him and his wife, and got the GN and cash and began the journey. Awesome people in the forum world and have been so generous with tech help, lessons learned, and what NOT to do. You have to be patient indeed, diligent in gathering and categorizing the vast info available, and able to be mechanically inclined and very intuitive in trouble shooting.
My twin sons race at a local short track, so my time to dig in has been shared between a clock I cannot rewind with them, and my toy.
Recently had the transmission rebuilt by a renown builder in our area, with an Art Carr modified deep sump pan and 700R4 filter kit, and later found the dreaded TCC solenoid lockup issue. Again, guys sharing on these and other sites led me right to it.
Go to Steve Wood's site and there are so many others. Send these guys an email and feel the unique thread that binds the GN owners. Buy the Black Air video and witness the passion. Richard Clark's life with respect to cars..and the passion and depth that runs thru these owners.
You stated you are 61...I am 62 and life with these cars is just taking hold of me. Heads turn when you roll into car shows on Saturday evening. There is a mystique. You will have a 'love-hate' relationship, and it will indeed try your patience. Ready to sell my 69 Vet I built back in back in 1977, sitting in my climate controlled garage on castered dollies, not driven since 1987. I will use the money to finance the path I wish to take the GN on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my GN for 8 years but wanted one since they came out.. It's stock and runs great with no problems hope it stays that way, so fun to drive. My son turns 16 this year
and has been driving it with me when he got his learners permit... Hope he doesn't get his
hopes up for it because its my toy..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts