Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car with a non running "virtually new motor" that supposedly needed the turbo rebuilt due to leaking seals. After getting the car home I ordered a rebuild kit for the turbo and while waiting on it I decided to check the engine closer and give it a tune up. This is how I found out that it had no compression on number 2 cylinder. Upon teardown I found the engine to be trashed inside. I have now built a new engine with SpeedPro hypereutectic .030 over pistons, new everything else. I am about to fire it up fo the first time tomorrow and break it in. Although I have built countless naturally aspirated and nitrous engines, this is my first turbo. After a good break in I would like to add a Turbo Tweak chip, increse boost, and add a water/methanol injection system. Any start up tips, timing adjustments, and best way to increase boost when time comes. Thanks for such a great site with great info

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hoping to get some responses so that I can post on other threads regarding what I would like to do with this car (engine, body, etc.)

·
T-Type guy
121 Posts
I bought the car with a non running "virtually new motor" that supposedly needed the turbo rebuilt due to leaking seals. After getting the car home I ordered a rebuild kit for the turbo and while waiting on it I decided to check the engine closer and give it a tune up. This is how I found out that it had no compression on number 2 cylinder. Upon teardown I found the engine to be trashed inside. I have now built a new engine with SpeedPro hypereutectic .030 over pistons, new everything else. I am about to fire it up fo the first time tomorrow and break it in. Although I have built countless naturally aspirated and nitrous engines, this is my first turbo. After a good break in I would like to add a Turbo Tweak chip, increse boost, and add a water/methanol injection system. Any start up tips, timing adjustments, and best way to increase boost when time comes. Thanks for such a great site with great info
Welcome to the site!

I know where you are comin' from! I bought a motor and trans from a guy that said he guarantees it to be good! Motor ended up being junk with no oil pressure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Got the car fired up and started a little tuning. No Check Engine lights on (did a bulb check and it does work), and it seems to run pretty smooth (cold air intake sounds like a vacuum cleaner!) Need to set base timing (any suggestions) and fix a small exhaust leak at the turbo from the Up Pipe. The pipe doesn't have much of a flare on the end and the flange has been over tightenend at the studs, so it is not flat. Do I take the pipe to the muffler shop and have them re-flare it or do I just heat up the 3 bolt flange and hammer it back flat? Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Got the car fired up and started a little tuning. No Check Engine lights on (did a bulb check and it does work), and it seems to run pretty smooth (cold air intake sounds like a vacuum cleaner!) Need to set base timing (any suggestions) and fix a small exhaust leak at the turbo from the Up Pipe. The pipe doesn't have much of a flare on the end and the flange has been over tightenend at the studs, so it is not flat. Do I take the pipe to the muffler shop and have them re-flare it or do I just heat up the 3 bolt flange and hammer it back flat? Thanks

Welcome aboard!:) Base timing....not sure for the 84 T....I would have the pipe re-flanged, banging on that flange might do more harm than good. Or go to the parts store and pay like $15 bucks for a exhaust flaring tool..comes in handy alot

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Greetings and salutations!:cheers: Good to hear you got it running. You probably would have gotten more responses in the Tech Section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts