Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I have been plunking around the site allot and have learned allot in a short time, great site too I might add.

I recently acquired an 87 3.8L GN/Turbo Regal Engine in a scrap yard.

It has the turbo and exhaust installed, trying to ID the turbo, it looks like a Precision unit, but has the Garrett exhaust annulus and the OEM Exhaust Elbow. It has a .60 discharge annulus and a .63 Exhaust annulus. The Impeller shaft seems loose but not touching the sides of the inlet side of the Annulas. It does not have a bolt on inlet on the inlet of the turbo and is about 2.5" in diameter for a hose to slip onto and be clamped. NO labels/tags anywhere for ID purposes.

It has ALL Accessories, Belt, Tensioner, Harmonic balancer, Timing Cover and water pump, intake manifold and plenum with Throttle body, EGR, Valve Covers and some of the Controlling Relays/Solenoids, Injectors, fuel rail and Inj. harness.

NO damage to anything that I can see on the outside, not sure about on the inside though.

I am not sure just what I will do with it right now, but I just couldn't let it be crushed and destroyed as JUNK.

I will be checking the site allot looking for the needed parts as time permits. I will be needing allot of items like wiring harnesses, computer, Ignition System, Etc, Etc. Hope you guys can help with some of the items I will be needing, or can tell me where I might be able to acquire them as needed.

A great Site, lots of information to absorb too.

Take Care,

Dusty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hello All

I put the engine on the engine stand and pulled the pan.

Found #1 Piston Shattered and in a 1,000 pieces, BIG HOLE in the cylinder wall.

Looks like the #1 Rod Bearing went Bad Very Quickly, the Piston hit the head and shattered, Valves look OK, Rod is intact and doesn't look bent, Amazing!

I think everything happened instantaneously with an immediate Shut Down, since there is NO Coolant or Oil in the exhaust pipes or Turbo.

I guess it is time to start the hunt for another block, the block now is a 109 block with 20 Pan Polts.

I have read that the Roller Cam block is a good up-grade for the 3.8L

What would be my best Donor Vehicle to look for to get a GOOD Block From?

I know that these engines are 25 years old and more and might not be the same engine the vehicle came with.

What would be your best advice for finding a Replacement Block?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Dusty

P.S.

I am a Retired Professional Mechanic, so this is type of damage is nothing New, except for the engine type of course.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello All

Since I will be fixing up the engine, I will need the specs for the Engine, such as all the Torque Values and the Clearances for the machine work that will be needed along the way.

Does anyone have these in a document that they would like to share, I would buy a shop manual, but I don't need everything for the whole vehicle and their cost would be prohibitive for just the engine.

I do have a 66 Pontiac Tempest/Automatic Post Car that I was going to put an OHC 6 Sprint Engine into, this transplant has allot more potential and would be a real sleeper too. It is a non AC car, and has LOTS of room under the hood for the GN engine, Intercooler, Oil Cooler and all the mods that may come along the way as it gets running again.

If you can copy the pages of a Shop Manual for me that would be FANTASTIC, if you could please PM me and we can work out the details.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

Dusty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello All

Since I will be going much faster, quicker and harder with the Engine Transplant into the Tempest, I guess I will need better Brakes and a stronger Differential too.

I just happen to have a Dana 60 Posi Differential with Disc Brakes that has been lying around for many years, and has a 3.54 ratio.

I also have a 12 bolt Tempest Posi Diff with a 3.55 Ratio too; I can add the Disc brakes with a little effort.

What diff ratio did the GN come with stock, and what ratio do you think is the best for the car?

What do you guys think about the Diff Swaps?

Take Care,

Dusty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello All

As for transmissions, I know that the true GN TH-200 4R IS THE BEST.

However they are hard to find, and I wouldn't want to take an Original trans that you can use for you Original GN's.

So what type and year of Donor vehicle should I look for to get another STRONG 200 4R Transmission for my project, that will hold up to the GN Engine power levels?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again for your time on these request's

Take Care,

Dusty

P.S.

I can rebuild the Trans myself, I used to Rebuild Automatic Transmissions occasionally on the side for fun and aggravation too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts