Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of mildly used MSD 50s (to replace my stock ones) and was considering cleaning them before installation. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You don't reaqlly know until you have tried them....sitting often allows to deposits to form as they dry....on the other hand, I have installled some used injectors with no problem.

They might become expensive injectors if you pay a hundred bucks for cleaning-on the other hand if they need it..........

Boy, I helped, huh?

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Do the MSD50s have a removable filter? I picked up some bad race gas and after checking the fuel filter and fuel pump filter, they were clogged from this junk in this gas. The fuel pump (external) has a removable filter with a very fine mesh but there is still a concern stuff might have gotten to the injectors.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't see anything that would qualify as a filter. Would dowsing them with carb cleaner be any kind of benefit?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
there is an internal screen. normally filters are backflushed during the cleaning process.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Am I that subtle? *g*

It won't hurt anything to stick the noses in the cleaner but I would be very careful and not apply 12 volts to the injectors tho some have gotten away with it.

Me, I would probably stick them in and try them out. No big deal to change injectors and it is easier the second time than the first...and faster. If there seems to be a problem, pull them and have them cleaned properly. If you know the owner and you know they are low mileage...stick 'em in and give them a go....that's my advice.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I just installed some used MSD 50's in my car"But I soaked them in WD40 for a couple of months "That time is Not required"But it will help gettin the solinoids working in the injectors if there sticky.Mine runs great so far in the garage!

------------------
Keith Davis--86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
No" just sprayed a little in each end a few times & let it soak in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts