Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well ive been reading up on gn's .. and ive from what ive read ive been seriously thinking of getting one.. now i know that from what i read id probably want an 86-87 .. so call me stupid.. but i honestly dont know much about these cars.. what should i look for? im an import guy with a 3000gt vr4.. this will be a project car for me.. so any suggestions would be a great help.. thank you..

·
Lotsa G-Body Parts
1,411 Posts
I think the first thing would be price.What do you want to spend.Then Milage & options.Stocker or built?Willing to travel or want something in your area.Different areas comand different prices do to the amount of Buicks in that area.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats very true.. id prefer a stock one.. im not really into buying modded cars.. but if it had a few mods i could over look it... over here in my area ive seen mint ones go for about 15-20k .. and ive seen ones that are in ok condition go for about 4-7k.. which is fine with me since it will be a project car anyway.. whats a decent price for one in ok condition? meaning it probably needs a paint job.. engine work.. interior needs to be worked on.. thanks for your help

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Parts are scarce and expensive. You will save yourself a lot of TIME and MONEY if you start with a lower milage car that doesnt need any work.

GM doesn't make many parts for these cars, Motors, trannys, body parts, interior.. Alot is discontiuned and used parts are expensive.

Do some research and find out for yourself that it will be easier, faster and cheaper to buy a low mile nice car than to try and restore one with used parts from around the country.

·
Lotsa G-Body Parts
1,411 Posts
Well I can't speak for the West Coast but on the East Coast parts aren't scare espescially when that is what you do for a living ;)The cars right now seem to be drying up compared to a few years ago.Right now it's a buyers market.I've seen cars that would of sold for $15K sell for $11k.it sound like you may want to get a higher milage stocker for about $4500 to $7k.The lower milage ones at around 40K to 50K are still pulling 10K & up range.
One thing I have learned is that the 100K mile cars will nickle & dime you to death.It's either better to get 1 with higher milage that the previous owner has already sank the money into on general repairs or get alot lower milage car in the 70K to 80K mile range.
It really depends on the previous owner did he care about the car & knew what he had or just drove it until the expenses weren't worth fixing the car.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
brian is right. i guess i got lucky with my car i bought it with 80k and i havent had any real trouble with it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't think parts are scarce or that expensive.
Just call BEAVY, he's got them all.

RUST - look for it and avoid it.

·
MASTER GM TECH
676 Posts
just remember its cool to find a low milage car,but...
youll never want to drive it..."keepin the miles down"...
nothing wrong with a hi miler
bought mine with 87000mi and pound it hard...and havent had any problems was a stocker 2 cept for some green stripes...
think more about what u want your car to become
driver or trailer queen :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
whats good price a good condition 98K mile '87 WE-4. all stock that needs an egr and A/C recharge??
i found one for 8000, is that too much?

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: birdman7389 ]</small>

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for everyones advice.. i will take all that into consideration.. i do realize that parts are going to be pretty scarce and expensive.. the car is somewhat exotic.. is there anything else i should know before shopping around for one?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Make sure a GN is something that you want. I noticed in another thread you said you had a 3000GT or something. These are nothing like those cars. The buicks do not handle, brake or are very stable at high speeds.

What they do and do well at is go very fast in the 1/4 mile for short money and carry 5 people to dinner with slicks in the trunk.

$ for $ the GN will make most cars at the drags look stupid, thats what these cars are all about.

Just understand its an OLD car by todays standards.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea im aware that they are two totally different cars. i knew that the gn's dont handle very well.. didnt know they werent stable at high speeds.. but i would like to have a 1/4 car and i thought the gn would be perfect for that.. maybe make some cash.. and also the interior of my 3000 is built for the driver.. the passenger rides comfortably.. but no one else does.. id like to have a car where i can seat a few people comfortably and still have the power... what can i say i like cars and i like working on cars..although i know more about imports than anything else but the gn motor looks fairly simple to work on

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
You can do suspension work to make it handle decent. It will never handle to perform ricer games in traffic but very few cars will stay with you when traffic clears :cool:

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: ULYCYC ]</small>

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll sell you my if you are looking for a nice car 70K NO RUST Excellent repaint mostly stock w/a few cosmetic upgrades runs and drives like new All sevice records on car back to 94 aprraised @ 14K will sell for much less powersix

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Weavy probably said it best. My car for example, was a high highway-mile car. I'm only the 2nd owner, known the original owner (or should say has known me) since I was an infant. He sank a ton of money into taking care of it, and taking care of things just before I bought it. It has a new motor and rebuilt trans, both about a year or more before I got ahold of it. It needed nothing but a paint job when I purchased it. But since I've been driving it into the ground every day as a daily driver, its now nickle and diming me to death!

I never intended on having it as a daily driver. It was to be a fun toy, but my beater took a dump on me, and I havent yet found another cheap daily beater.

As far as miles, even with the new motor, trans, redone front end, all poly bushings, and replaced springs & shocks, exhaust, etc, she rides great and I'd like to preserve the current drivetrain. But I'm not concerned with racking up the miles too much if I have to since they're already up there. If I had a low mile car, I know I'd never want to drive it. Thats why I'll make this one a mean little street car, and buy another low-mile GN someday to preserve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts