Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy guys. I have been an fbody guy for years, but just recently got a sweet deal on an 87 gn, so I guess now I am a gn guy! I don't have a lot of knowledge about these cars so any help will be appreciated. I have a few basic questions right now, as the car needs to be redone. what is the biggest 17" wheel and tire combo that will fit in these cars? Are ratchet shifters a good thing on these cars? What is a nice loud intimidating exaust for the gn? I bought the car with no motor or trans, and am about to buy an engine that is suposedly beefed with no turbo or intercooler. I will get a list of the $hit done to it and post it later to get all of your opinions. Happy to be driving a "black car" and happy to meet all of you guys. Any beginner tips are also greatly appreciated!!

G

·
Check out http://gnttype.org/ There's a lot of good info Buicks in there.

------------------
k&n Filter,p&p heads, match ported intake,RJC Power Plate, 340 walbro & hot wired,,be cool radiator, boost, water temp and oil pressure gauges
, hooker cat back
, driver side header,42.5 injectors waiting for chip

·
Registered
743 Posts
Loud exaust...On a GN?
Well these cars will not sound like and F-body. A dump pipe will probably make your car the loudest. You will learn that loud does not equal fast with that GN.

Unless you already have them, you will need a scan tool, a new fuel pump with hotwire kit, lots of patience, do some reading, and ask questions. When you get a motor in, make sure you have plenty of octane and turn that boost up slowly. You don't want to blow a head gasket or worse right away. Good luck.

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, Accel yellow tops, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster v2.1, T-Link, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, Hotchkis lower control arms, variable rate rear springs, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock as far as I can tell...or too meaningless to list.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts