Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello...recently acquired a 1987 grand national thats in pretty good shape just needs a few minor issues addressed. just recently had engine work done to it, replaced the trans, rebuilt the turbo. still have a few issues i need to work out. i will post pics. im located in Southfield, MI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fellow newbie

I noticed the broomstick handle in the photo. That was me until last year. Rock auto has HD replacement hood struts to hold that hood up! about 18 bucks each. I recommend you replace them in pairs :)

Sam

·
Registered
14 Posts
rust never sleeps

Sorry about the rusty mufflers darth , I feel your pain. I live in the rust belt here in New England and my exhaust needs work too, same issue. Still working on sourcing tail pipes and muffler myself. I got inspection before the end of the month and Some Mass inspection stations do a exhaust cork test so I'm toast. I've failed in the past for the factory header crack. lucky for me Muffler putty fixes that long enough to get an annual sticker. that's not an easy part to find!:eek!:

Sam

·
Registered
14 Posts
high rpm at idle

I have had my share of idle problems. The GNs idle is computer controlled and high idle sometimes indicates vacuum leaks. I have had loose intake manifold bolts giving me idle problems. You can also check the egr valve. If its original I bet its shot. If that doesn't do it, the ISC ( idle speed controller) is stuck open. Its the large bolt with the 4 wire plug on the front of the plenum, under the large mass air pipe. Ive been through 2 . You may also need to set the TPS throttle position sensor. You do that with a volt ohm meter. Do Not adjust idle with the air valve thumb screw!, that.s best left for someone with a scan tool Good luck. :D

Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts