Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm not new to Gbodys but I'm new to the Turbo Buicks what the main things I should really look at when purchasing a turbo regal is there any dead giveaways of problems? The car is a 1987 Buick T type with T tops.

What is so advice you can all give me.

I'm only 19 and I dont have alot of car experince just yet so I cant wait to get my hands on this car and just have at it.:6::headbang:

Also was this the right fourm for this question? :dunno:
Thanks

Justin

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Make sure there is no rot in the T-top area or any where else for that matter. Some T-top cars once they get some miles on them don't seal very well and water gets in which starts the rusting process as you know. Examine very closely for rust.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Rust

Make sure there is no rot in the T-top area or any where else for that matter. Some T-top cars once they get some miles on them don't seal very well and water gets in which starts the rusting process as you know. Examine very closely for rust.

Good luck,

x2 with Paul on this.

Here's my thoughts on the subject. I am by no means an expert on these cars but have been around them for long enough to have seen my share of these problems.

In addition to the T Tops, check the Floor pan on drivers & passenger side directly under dash too. If T tops have been leaking, you may find this area rust prone too.

Although I do not own a T Top car, because of this potential rust issue and the body flexing that our G bodies are noted for.....I chose a hardtop when I went looking to purchase a car.

Rear 2 frame rails directly behind back wheels.....these are notorious for retaining dirt / crud & moisutre and are prone to rotting out as well.

Bottom of door edges are often rusted. Look with a flash light at the underside of car directly under door areas on the body....paying particular attention to the rocker areas.

If you find alot of rust on a car....here's my suggestion "RUN FOREST, RUN"! :eek!:

Otherwise you will be spending a ton of money on rust repairs.
Keep looking for a clean car, there are lots of them out there, just have patience grasshopper. It's better to spend a bit more money on a clean one in the long run. If you don't find a clean local car, then take Tims' advice and bring up a clean Southern car from the US......no salt used down there!

Ditto on buying a car that has the mods done already, as you will be thousands of dollars ahead doing it this way. Just gotta be sure these have been done tastefully & with the right combination of parts.

A low mileage car is preferred, but not often available.
Performing a compression & leakdown test will tell you alot about an engine, if they won't allow you to do this, then they're obviously trying to hide something. You don't want any surprises that are gonna cost you thousands of dollars a few miles down the road. :crazy:

Maybe Chris Borson "Turbolicker" can chime in on his experiences with this subject......he owns an Auto Collision Repair Center & knows these cars inside out.

Perhaps you could make arrangements to have one of the more knowledgeable turbobuick.com members to take a look at the car for another opinion. :dunno:

"Just Sayin" :wink:

Sorry for being so long winded, just trying to save a Brotha from the perils of these money pits, or you'll be like many of us.....addicted to "Black Crack".

Good Luck on your quest. :yup:

:cheers:

dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.