Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres the deal, i just got an 87 grand national. i have always loved these cars and couldnt pass down the deal i got on mine but it needs a little work, problem is i have worked on carbourated engines never anything with a computer or sensors. the car is pretty much all stock except for an unknown intake pipe and cone filter. it has a pretty new waterpump from prev owner, new wires and plugs. its got 130,000km on it. it starts up ok and drives fine but when you give it throttle from a dead stop it has a bad hesitation almost like i bog, it does this in gear and in park. i plan on driving this car daily and need it to be reliable so what should i look for?? what is involved in "tuning" these cars? thanks ahead of time for all the help im looking forward to the pleasure of driving this car :6:

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Sounds like it could be something as simple as the IAC(idle air control) and/or TPS (throttle position sensor) out of adjustment.

I shouldn't say simple. Adjusting them to spec. can be daunting, and should never ever be attempted without a scan tool like Scanmaster. Since you're in Toronto, there some other GN owners near by and could help with this issue. Hopefully they'll chime in here.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
PM Dan (278CIKILLER), he's in the Toronto Area. He'll fix it up for you.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
ok so heres the deal, i just got an 87 grand national. i have always loved these cars and couldnt pass down the deal i got on mine but it needs a little work, problem is i have worked on carbourated engines never anything with a computer or sensors. the car is pretty much all stock except for an unknown intake pipe and cone filter. it has a pretty new waterpump from prev owner, new wires and plugs. its got 130,000km on it. it starts up ok and drives fine but when you give it throttle from a dead stop it has a bad hesitation almost like i bog, it does this in gear and in park. i plan on driving this car daily and need it to be reliable so what should i look for?? what is involved in "tuning" these cars? thanks ahead of time for all the help im looking forward to the pleasure of driving this car :6:
Go to my site below and read the basics section. that should make some of it easier. Nothing like local, experienced help to get started tho...and get a scantool if you want to successfully own it over a period of time:)

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot steve i checked out your site and it is very impressive! first thing i did was bookmarked that page on my browser. i have already learned alot and i am looking forward to tuning my car and running a full diagnostic on it. it looks like my first step would be locating a scanmaster and using the numbers it gives me to make the applicable changes if its not within reasonable range

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,851 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts