Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded a 73 340 duster for this car and must say it pulls better and faster than my old 340 4-speed car. Any way it has a fresh rebuild on the motor and trans, ARP guts in the motor and art carr everything in the trans including a 2400 stall. It does need some body and paint work though. My question is this. The previous owner says that when starting, always depress the key fully without letting the key remain in ACC prior to starting or else it will floof the fuel system showing a code 41. Is there ant truth to this?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Doesn't sound normal. The fuel pump should stop pumping when the set fuel pressure is met.

·
Registered
95 Posts
welcome to the ranks, and to the site. Traded for the GN? As much as I do like older Mopars, I think you got the better end of that deal.

I agree, I wonder why the previous owner thought that? When you turn the key, you should hear the pump run for a bit, and then stop, if you don't turn it all the way to ignition. Shouldn't cause any codes, though.

If you are getting the code, you,ve got something else wrong. FPR or something?

I'm sure that others will chime in and help you with your "floofed" fuel system....

Just giving you a bit of a hard time! SOME people here are really critical of spelling errors! Heh heh!!

Hope that you enjoy your new car. I doubt there's any question that someone here won't be able to clear up for you. Hope you get some good from the site and stick around!!

------------------
TomS.

• *'84 Burgundy T-Type - Mostly stock, (and mostly immobile) mods & repairs coming sometime soon
    *'70 Camaro - Mostly in pieces....looking for time & $$
    *Assorted other vehicles...

·
Registered
18 Posts
The fuel pump relay is not being controlled by the ECC, it must have been wired to run when the accessories are powered. This should not cause a big problem since the major reason for the 3 second run was for safety. I've let mine run for 20 seconds or so and not had a flooding problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I think it was a good trade, both vehicles were in about the same condition. I never heard of not being able to turn to the first detent before start on any fuel injected car. Never had one Flood (not floof) ha ha. The prior owner made the mistake of parking at a mall, and some idiot decided to can open the passenger door and krinkle the quarter panel just before the wheel well with his bumper. The door was replaced but the quarter and door still need to be finished.Had to drive through 4 states to get this vehicle but I think it is worth it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It will flood the motor if you leave it on for a while and have leaky injectors, but I think they would have to leak pretty bad or you would have to leave it on a while.

Good trade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts