Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I finally picked up the GN from the dude down the street. I changed the oil and threw some in the coller line. I put a battery in the thing and hooked it up and I get nothing from anything, no lights, beeps or even sparks. The car has been sitting for nine years and the battery terminals were somewhat rusty, I do get voltage across the terminals. I do not get voltage from Batt + to a ground (which was on the body ground next to the battery and also on the heat shield, both scraped until I saw shiny metal) I did not check to see if I got continuity from Batt - to a shiny ground.

I have a feeling the starter terminal is crudded up and also the engine ground. My plan is to clean these and try again..

Is there anything else I should look for??
Is there anyting common that I should know about, I did subscribe to alldatadiy.com so I have some resources, but I think this site is the best..

Thanks for the help!!

Bill

·
Registered
284 Posts
Check the fuseable links above the starter that feed up the firewall to the fusebox.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Wait a minute...if you don't get battery voltage from B+ to the sheet metal, you would appear to have a problem in the ground wire, right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Um yes I guess so. If I put a VOM+ onto the Bat+ and the VOM- to sheetmetal I would be completing a circuit. The VOM- would have to go through the sheetmetal back through the Bat- cable to the Batt. I guess a continuity check from Bat- to sheetmetal should tell me the same thing. I'll have to clean that off and try again. Thanks Guys...

Bill

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
It could also be as simple as no voltage at the point you're measuring. There's an open, but not necessarilly at the ground.

If your positive lead is on the battery's + terminal, and your negative lead is on any ground, sheet metal or otherwise, it's telling you that there's no voltage present at the point fo measurement. Very badly corroded battery contacts will in fact do this.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
As we don't know where you are putting your probes...

Put the probes on the two battery cables at the batery and measure for voltage. If you have voltage there, then you know the battery cables are making some kind of contact with the battery.

Then, if you have voltage there, go back and check out the ground lead.

If you don't have voltage between the two cables at the battery, go back and check those connections first.

Having sat that long, I might suggest disconnecting the orange wire at the battery so the car cannot start before you start cranking it. Maybe pull the plugs and shoot a dose of oil in each cylinder and leave the plugs out.

Spin it over with the plugs out so there is no load on the rings initially, and let the oil get circulated.

Be sure the thing makes oil pressure before you try to start it.

Also, I don't know what you have done with the gas tank, but I would think it, and the fuel lines, and fuel rail might be full of tar/jelly from the old gas going bad. I would hate to push that into the injectors.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Might check to see it the car has any kind of anti-theft gadget, too. Some will disconnect the battery, down by the started, I think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it fixed itself, it cranks primed it with oil and such but it's not (wasn't) making fuel pressure, the pump relay is bad. I removed the guts and did the relay manually (up to 39psi) the circuit works. I don't think there is spark, he had a new crank sensor in the trunk which I will put in. Also, The computer is out of the kick panel and 1 wire (orange, I think it is the Battery +12 volts) is kind of hanging out. There is an alarm but I have the key fob thingys althogh it could still be causing trouble.

Where can I get those little "pin" like connectors for the ECM. I have a crimper for them as well as a pin extractor tool.

I know it probably wasn't the smarted move but the gas smeled pretty good so I added 3 gals of Super and a pinch of Stazbil like substance.

Anyone got a spare fuel pump relay??

Thanks for your help!!

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts