Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fairly Crazy
997 Posts
I question how they can do this... my mom's Suzuki has had a check-engine light for Neutral Safety Switch not working the past 2-3 years... that shouldn't cause her vehicle to fail an emission test...

·
Neigbours r sleeping?
486 Posts
For 2013 new testing for Drive Clean.

Wheels.ca – ‘Check engine’ on? Expect to fail new Drive Clean test

I love the governement. I wish they would test and probe everthing in my life.:rolleyes:
The thing is a joke anyway as I know a number of cars that the Vin in the computer do not match the vin on the dash plate or ownership. As new as 2011.

So once again another way of grabbing money without any outlay.

Also 1998 and prior have different rules.

As far as taking pictures of my plate and vin I think that one needs to go to court. . . That is my personal property and is protected under the privacy act.

AJ___

·
Registered
39 Posts
They've been doing something similar in CT for years. And ANY check engine light will fail the car. My wrx failed for a check engine light due to a bad gas cap 5 years ago... Then passed without any catalytic converters or emissions equipment... Makes you wonder doesn't it?

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
If this becomes an annual test, as that poorly written article alludes to, then that is definitely an excessive cash grab. These days it is pretty easy to have a clean performance car, and we all have to remember that it isn't a right own and operate a car... and there are many violators out there. I am curious to see what MTO spot checks will look like next year as these new test systems are definitely mobile.

Also, that SES/MIL light better to be attributable to one of the OBD monitor tests related to emissions, not something like a faulty wheel speed sensor or another mechanical fault unrelated to emissions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just wanted to pass along some info. I was reading today's issue of the Toronto Sun. On page 5, there is a short article about the recent report by the Ontario auditor general. The basic gist of the article is that smog is down in Ontario, but not really because of the Drive Clean program. Most of the reduction is due to better cars and cleaner fuel. The auditor general is quoted as saying "The Ministry of the Environment should formally evaluate the extent to which the Drive Clean program continues to be an effective initiative in reducing smog". Apparently, British Columbia is going to discontinue its version of the program for light duty vehicles in 2014, as have 5 U.S. states. "Vehicle emissions are no longer one of the major contributors to smog in Ontario", McCarter (auditor general) said, suggesting the government could well look at cutting back on the program's scope.
Thought people here would be interested.

·
6,603 Posts
...recent report by the Ontario auditor general. The basic gist of the article is that smog is down in Ontario, but not really because of the Drive Clean program. Most of the reduction is due to better cars and cleaner fuel.
It was funny this Summer when John and I were in the States doing the PowerTour I noted how much sweeter the US fuel smelled than our own. Since then I have also noticed a change in the fuel I have been buying from Ultramar to smell similar.

Signed,

Your resident gas huffer...

And yes, there is no need for Drive Clean with the volume of modern cars on the road to day. Commercial trucks is a different story.

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Took my '98 F150 in for a test this week.

Numbers have been inching up (300K+) and it throws a code everyone once in a while so I figured I'd like to have two kicks at the can. (Dyno vs ODBII)

Passed, so I'm happy

·
6,603 Posts

·
6,603 Posts
Took my '98 F150 in for a test this week.

Numbers have been inching up (300K+) and it throws a code everyone once in a while so I figured I'd like to have two kicks at the can. (Dyno vs ODBII)

Passed, so I'm happy
Which did they do? The OBD-II scan or the dyno?

·
6,603 Posts

·
6,603 Posts

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Which did they do? The OBD-II scan or the dyno?
I got in on the 29'th. They were running the Dyno one more day then the guys were coming in to pull it out.

The mechanic said my '98 would be definitely be tested ODB-II (98+)

Sounded like they were going to be out of commission a while 'till the new system was installed. (Cdn-Tire)

Procrastinators are likely to have trouble finding a working one in early January.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Took my 2002 windstar in for old dyno test passed easy but the check engine light is on with a lean code. So i my eys it is a cash grab my van meets all emissions standards but the check engine light is on so fail it thats wrong

·
6,603 Posts
Took my 2002 windstar in for old dyno test passed easy but the check engine light is on with a lean code. So i my eys it is a cash grab my van meets all emissions standards but the check engine light is on so fail it thats wrong
Tailpipe emissions yes, computer emissions no. (That was a joke).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts