Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. After yesterdays racing abortion, I have more air in the radiator and about 10oz of coolant missing. Running the car yesterday gave me that nasty exhaust raspiness from the engine compartment, just not as loud as before. So, if I am lifting the heads from extreme cylinder pressure, how can I ensure the heads are nice and tight?

Last time I put the heads on, I used the stock GM head gaskets, and the super-duper ARP head bolts (non-TTY). I followed the instructions located here: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/torque.html . Since I wasn't using the TTY bolts, I called ARP and asked them what to torque them to. I remember it being something over 60ft. lbs, but don't remember what I torqued them to.

Now, question is, how do I retighten them? Break them loose one at a time and retorque? Or don't break them loose, and just try to torque them more?

I read a post somewhere on one of the boards about a guy stripping out one of his head bolts.. ouch.. I don't want to do that. How tight can I go?????

Thanks for any info..

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

G

·
Mike,
i remember doing mine to 80- 85 ft lbs in 3 steps.

I really cant suggest that you retorque. Especially on a gasket thats been there a while.You can always give it a try, i guess there is nothing to loose.If the gasket is damaged, thats it.

Ive had that sound out of my car before and the gasket was already erroded.It was escaping out of the bottom of the cylinder below the header flange.It projected downward so it sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the car.

Take a close look down there with a flashlight and check for exhaust tracing where the head and block meet.

Good Luck
Louie

------------------

87 Grand National
Champion ported intake, alum. heads,210/210 billet w- T&D 1.65's,Limit Eng. TE 45,THDP, CAS V2, PMAC, 9.5PI LU,Stage Right TB,
72# with ME TW.

95 Ford Lightning
One rusty car trailer

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to post this, but IMO the sounds and the coolant going awol means there's a problem that needs fixing and, given the description of the recent track fun it's likely the head gaskets.

I think your recent experiments into high timing ties well into what we've been talking about in some other threads lately.

Todd

·
Registered
80 Posts
I talked with my engine builder about a plan for my car after I blew my gaskets again. He mentioned that he talked with some one and they said that Victor, who makes the stock gaskets had started using another manufacture for their gaskets recently. I blew my gaskets the first time for good reason, but the second set, I had problems with, like excessive lifter preload which broke one rocker arm and cracked 2 others. I thought I might have had too much boost and timing put in but the EGT and knock was good. Has anyone else had problems with gaskets that were bought recently?

------------------
Craig Turley
[email protected] (1.97 60 ft)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts