Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend an individual or shop with TB knowledge to swap out my old manifolds for the new TA perfomance kit I bought? The sooner the better for me...:)

TIA...Angelo

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thank you to all who reached out via PM to offer their services. Very much appreciated. Unfortunately I trusted the mechanic who's been working on my GN since day one - biggest mistake of my life. How he could have butchered such an routine installation is beyond me. He gave the car back to me with the driver's side manifold contacting the sterring wheel knuckle. I was under the impression that TA headers were a direct fit and there should have been no issues. The contact on the steering column is not subtle by the way - it's to the point of being unsafe.

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Wonder how your motor mounts are?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder how your motor mounts are?
Driver's side is a solid TA Perf mount - passenger side - stock - may need to be looked at. Spoke with the owner of TA Performance (Mike) and he's been very helpful. There's a very slight chance I may have been shipped a pre-production header. Apparently there was a fix about 18 mths ago to correct this very issue. We'll see...keep you all updated.

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Would a jeep ujoint mod fit better?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
blank
2,898 Posts
The jeep joints look like they are about two inches in diameter

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Here's what you want.....ask me how I know..........
I installed one recently so my TA headers would fit with more clearance between these two parts.
It is a GM part too!
Just finished installing mine last weekend. Fits like a glove.

Contact MC87SS on this board.

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/parts-sale/104168-new-item-gm-steering-shaft-upgrade.html

It's a cheap upgrade & inverts the larger end towards the steering box which allows the clearance on the larger header pipes on the TA's.

dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's what you want.....ask me how I know..........
I had to install one so my TA headers would fit as well.
It is a GM part too!
Just finished installing mine last weekend. Fits like a glove.

Contact MC87SS on this board.

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/parts-sale/104168-new-item-gm-steering-shaft-upgrade.html

It's a cheap upgrade & inverts the larger end towards the steering box which allows the clearance on the larger header pipes on the TA's.

dave
BRILLIANT!! I just sent him a PM - thank you!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have to ask.
Did the person installing it call and say there was a problem or did they just butcher it and say come pick up your car?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to ask.
Did the person installing it call and say there was a problem or did they just butcher it and say come pick up your car?
He said it was a problem after he already butchered so I was left with no choice.
I really don't know what I should do at this point. I can either:

a. go back and make him fix it for free
b. forget him, and move on and pay someone else to do it
c. sue the bastard - lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave (1KWIKSIX), do you have a pic of your set up that you can share? Also, did you drive around with the header making contact, or did you install the new shaft beforehand?

Thanks,
Angelo

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
T/A headers & steering shaft

Dave (1KWIKSIX), do you have a pic of your set up that you can share? Also, did you drive around with the header making contact, or did you install the new shaft beforehand?

Thanks,
Angelo
Hi Angelo,

My TA headers did fit without contact with my stock GM steering shaft, although it was a close fit. Don't know why yours wouldn't fit without major surgery to your drivers side header. I'd stay on top of this with Mike at TA Performance. If you ask me, you are in line for a replacement header that fits without issues.

I recently installed the GM shaft supplied by MC87SS & found more clearance + no more slop in the steering!

I'll post a few pics tonight.

thanks

dave

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
TA Headers with upgraded GM steering shaft

Here's some pics I took tonight. Sorry if they're not real clear....took them on my blackberry.

TA Headers with upgraded GM steering shaft from MC87SS.

There's more clearance than these pictures lead you to believe. :yup:

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would like to thank you for sharing this with our group on this forum. I hope we can learn from it. It's not easy to say " Hey look at the shitty job I just paid for".

Thanks,
Brian

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
No way anyone who calls himself a mechanic did that job.

You sure everything else is tight?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hey Angelo,
Maybe you could do us all a favour & name the mechanic / shop that did your installation. We might want to make mental note so we don't experience a similar outcome.

thx

dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like to thank you for sharing this with our group on this forum. I hope we can learn from it. It's not easy to say " Hey look at the shitty job I just paid for".

Thanks,
Brian
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Angelo,
Maybe you could do us all a favour & name the mechanic / shop that did your installation. We might want to make mental note so we don't experience a similar outcome.

thx

dave
Dave - sent you a PM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts