Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the whole gn scene and need some help in getting my car to haul ass. i just purchased a 85 with an 87 motor and it runs pretty good however i feel it has a hell of a lot more potential with minor bolt ons. so far it has a high volume fuel pump, green top injectors, fuel pressure reg. and 2 1/2 exhaust. i was wondering if i should go with a 3 inch down pipe and full exhaust? how bout turbo size? what is the stock turbo good for hp wise? i have a t3/t04e but then id have to switch to a external wastegate which i also have as well but is it worth it? please help me or give me some suggestions as to what i can do to get this thing to really put me in my seat with out spending to much. thanks
p.s i have a 2700 stall converter as well.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Stock turbo will support about 400 hp on race gas/timing.

That equates to low 12s on race gas with sticky tires and low 13s on 93 octane.

It's really hard to advise you without knowing how well it runs now. :)

A three inch downpipe begins to help in the 12s, it would seem from a history of user reports.

Be sure your pump has been "hot wired" so it gets full voltage and can deliver what it is supposed to.

Go to gnttype.org and read the spring cleaning article and performance recipe articles under the tech section. The performance recipes are a bit old and name specific parts in some cases. Today, there are a lot more choices out there but the theme is correct in spite of the age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts